Sunday, February 22, 2015

Vicksburg's "Architectural Gold"

The beautiful historic town of Vicksburg, Mississippi, is a treasure trove of what I call “architectural art.” It's everywhere … in windows and doors, columns, statues and monuments, houses, both great and small, and churches.  I have captured hundreds of pictures of these architectural wonders, and would like to share a few photos which I enhanced with Photoshop.  I call this collection "Architectural Gold."
Bloom Fountain, with
Old Court House Museum in Background
Columns, Old Feld House, ca 1913
The Golden Eagle atop the Illinois State Memorial
Vicksburg National Military Park
Old Court House Museum
 
 
  St. Paul Catholic Church
 Old Depot
First Presbyterian Church of Vicksburg
 
Church of the Holy Trinity
Sisters of Mercy Convent

I never tire of capturing Vicksburg's architectural treasures.  I invite you to join me next time to see some of the houses that line the streets of our neighborhoods.  From magnificent antebellum mansions to tiny cottages, they are all richly steeped in the history of Vicksburg ... and some have battle scars to prove it.

5 comments:

TumbleWeed25 said...

Thank you for sharing these beautiful images. So much of our country is blessed with a rich architectural and artistic heritage. Vicksburg is definitely a place that people should visit.

Dorothy said...

You captured some fantastic pictures of the architecture of days gone by! Very creative editing and angles! I've never been to Vicksburg, but this makes me want to go.

RachelD said...

Oh, My! I posted that very day, and have no idea where it went. Simply breathtaking, your home town, in shape and colour and decoration, and you capture the square strength and solid beauty and the nuance equally well. Lovely.

r

BeachGypsy said...

You truly outdid yourself there....those are amazing! The best ive seen but i do love all ynur work! What talent! Thank you for sharing!

Judy said...

dearest janie, thank you so much for your kind words and prayers. i'm 2 weeks post op today and feeling stronger and better every day, thank God!

i know i've missed seeing your posts as they are one of the few "authentic" voices in blogland nowadays. i plan on blogging at some point down the road but sometimes i think i've about burned out altogether...blogging just "ain't what it used to be". And that's a blog post on its own! But it seems a lot of people feel the same way. I used to spend hours on my computer reading blogs but now it all seems to be the same old tired posts about advertising or free trips....not interested. I've deleted a lot of my blog roll and will be deleting quite a bit more soon. Truth be told, I could probably name the number of blogs I'm really interested in on my fingers and toes.

Take care during your break and please keep in touch. You have been a true friend over the years.