Monday, June 15, 2009

I Wish I'd Said That!


Today I thought it would be fun to share some famous lines from movies that we all have probably heard, and may have even quoted, without knowing their origin. For instance, I'm sure we've all heard this quote from Marlon Brando in The Godfather, 1972:

I made him an offer he couldn't refuse.

And this classic line by Atticus Finch to daughter Scout in To Kill a Mockingbird, 1962:

Shoot all the bluejays you want, if you can hit 'em, but remember it's a sin to kill a mockingbird.


I'll be baaaack ...
And little did we know just how he would be back.
[Arnold Schwarzenegger in The Terminator, 1984]

I wonder how many times this famous line has been repeated:

Go ahead, make my day.
[Clint Eastwood in Dirty Harry, 1971]

And one of my all-time favorites:
Frankly, my dear, I don't give a damn.
Rhett to Scarlett in Gone With the Wind, 1939

Mrs. Robinson, you're trying to seduce me, aren't you?
Dustin Hoffman in The Graduate, 1967

Stupid is as stupid does, and
Life is just a box of chocolates.Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, 1994.

Heeere's Johnny!Jack Nicholson in The Shining, 1980

You're gonna need a bigger boat.Roy Scheider in Jaws, 1975

Goodbye, old friend. May the force be with you!
Obi-Wan Kenobi, Star Wars, 1977

Toto, I don't think we're in Kansas anymore.Judy Garland in Wizard of Oz, 1939

Another one of my favorite Scarlett quotes:

I can't think about that right now.
If I do, I'll go crazy.
I'll think about that tomorrow.
Scarlett O'Hara in Gone With the Wind, 1939

I'll have what she's having.

Older woman customer [to waiter] in restaurant scene,
When Harry Met Sally, 1989

What we got here is ...
failure to communicate.
Strother Martin in Cool Hand Luke, 1967

It's classified.
I could tell you, but then I'd have to kill you.
Tom Cruise in Top Gun, 1986

And last, but certainly not least, the classic line delivered so perfectly by Humphrey Bogart in Casablanca, 1942:

Here's looking at you, Kid.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a fun post! Love all the quotes! Just watched Gran Torino last night on On Demand with Clint Eastwood. So sad, he's getting so old. He was a cutie at one time!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia :)

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

I remember each and every one of these!! Great post!

nancygrayce said...

I love all the movie quotes! To Kill A Mockingbird was one of my favorite books and movies!

Sue said...

Hi Janie.
This was such a great post, it brought back a lot of fun memories of old movies. I did remember a lot of these quotes especially when Scarlett said she would think about it tomorrow. one of my all time favorite movies. Thank you for sharing.
Sue