Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Glory of a Dandelion

Forth from its sunny nook of shelter'd grass ...
Innocent, golden, calm as the dawn,
The spring's first dandelion shows its trustful face.

Excerpt from Leaves of Grass, by Walt Whitman

I saw my first dandelion of the season yesterday at Cedar Hill Cemetery in Vicksburg.

I almost stepped on it as I was on my way to photograph something else, but I happened to look down just in time. As I knelt down to get a closer look through my camera lens, I realized that I had found some lagniappe in the form of this pretty little flower nestled in the grass and leaves (you can click on the images to enlarge them, if you'd like).

I love finding God's glory in unexpected places ... even in dandelions.

6 comments:

Tonja said...

This picture is actually bittersweet for me. There is no telling just how many of these yellow 'treasures' I have received over the years from a grubby little hand on the playground. Everyone of them got tucked into a buttonhole, or taped onto a blouse. By the end of the day, it was shrivelled into a little brown nub. Thanks for reminding me of this sweet season of my life.

RachelD said...

What a treasure you discovered!! We still have a foot of snow on the lawn, but I trust wholeheartedly that my great swaths of violets which cover the back garden will peep forth anew, and soon after, the golden flowers of the million "dan-deel-yuns" will punctuate the path.

It's surrounded by three-foot volunteer Rose of Sharon spears, and we call it the Fairy Dell. I love that you posted a small preview of what's to come.

And Tonja, some of the most memorable treasures are as fleeting as a wilting flower tucked into a blouse. Sweet seasons never really fade.

Jon said...

Enjoyed visiting your lovely blog, Janie. It lifted my spirits.

Jon

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Very sweet photos!

Merisi said...

Such tender messenger of spring !
I am sure it was calling you, to look down and take its portrait.

Deb said...

I know they are weeds...but they are so sweet looking...