Thursday, February 25, 2010

Picket Fences

I don't know of anyone who doesn't love a picket fence. In fact, when we were young girls dreaming of the future, most of our dreams probably included images of a rose-covered cottage with a white picket fence surrounding it.

A white picket fence has become a symbol of "the American dream" of owning a nice house in which to raise your family and live "happily ever after."

I am always drawn to houses with picket fences. There's just something about them that says, "Welcome ... come on in!" They come in all sizes, shapes, colors, and condition.

Some have tops like popsicle sticks ...

Some have pointed ones ...

Some are plain ...

Some are grand ...

Some are old ...

Photo courtesy of Phil Douglis. You can see more of his stunning photography at Phil Douglis's Photo Galleries

Some are new ...

Some are pink!

Some are blue ...

Some have roses of red ...

And yellow, too!

Some are small ...

And some are tall ...

And some are graced with splendor in the Fall ...

This was a fun post to do, and while gathering photos for it, I was surprised at how many "picket fence photos" I have taken in and around Vicksburg. Photos 3, 4, and 5 above are mine, and here are a few more:

I don't have a picket fence, but seeing these has inspired me to try to add a small one somewhere in our backyard landscaping. Hmmmm ... I wonder -- should it be white, pink, blue, or yellow? Or what about a rainbow fence?

Sounds like a fun project, doesn't it!

8 comments:

Linda @ A La Carte said...

There is something charming about a picket fence! Love all the photos and the last rainbow one is adorable.

Nanna said...

what beautiful inspiring pictures, what great about picket fences are they can be any size & put anywhere!

Helen

RachelD said...

What a lovely, lively collection! The first snug rose-covered cottage has the ocean somewhere close behind its charming plot. And all the colors and the shapes are wonderful---like crafts done by talented children, with a box of 64 and unlimited Elmer's.

I lean toward the pointy, weathered ones, but I could garden-gaze at that rainbow one for a long, long time.

Donna said...

Love your picket fence pics. There is something so charming about picket fences!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I just love visiting you, your post and pictures just make my day. I love picket fences, we had one when I was a teenager, never could talk DH into one at this house we have an acre yard, he says it's too big to build and keep up. Booo.
Molly

Tonja said...

I vote for the rainbow one! This was a beautiful post! I took a little trip in my mind as I looked at each one. Could I live in that one...how about this one? I'm afraid the very first one would have to be my choice! The fences are so unique, and I'm sure they are an indicator of the personality of the gardner in the house.
And, I love, love, love the header pic!

Deb said...

great picket fences...I love your new header....

Linda@Coastal Charm said...

I drool over picket fences...great pics! Come by and check out y CASH GIVEAWAY...I think you will like it!

Blessings,
Linda