Friday, May 21, 2010

The Glorious Golden Raintree

There's a funeral home in Vicksburg that I drive by several times a week, and I have had my eye on a tree in front of it for a couple of weeks now.

Yesterday, I passed by the funeral home and noticed that the tree was in full bloom, and since I "just happened" to have my cameras with me, I stopped to capture it while it was at its peak.

At the time I photographed the tree, I didn't know what kind it was, but after researching it, I discovered that it is a Golden Raintree, and its name perfectly describes its delicate cascading yellow branches.

If you are a regular visitor to Southern Lagniappe, you know I always have to get a closer look at whatever I'm photographing ... whether it's flowers, bumblebees, dragonflies, cows, or goats ... I want to see them up close and personal.

So, here are some "up close and personal" photos of the glorious "Golden Rain" blossoms that make this beautiful tree so unique. You can click on the images to enlarge them, if you'd like to see them even closer.

I hope your weekend is filled with lots of sunshine, and you have time to relax and enjoy it.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

We have them here in Oklahoma, they are one of the trees recommended by the state for our area. Wait until you see the beautiful seed pods that come at the end of summer.

Robert Walker said...

The irony of such beauty and renewal of life in front of such a landmark. Great shots!

RachelD said...

A King's Ransom in blossoms you've captured---this is a new flower to me, and it's a bright, cheery note on a cloudy morning.

Even the name is enchanting.

Thank you!!

Tonja said...

I would never know that tree had those sweet little flowers on it. I have seen those from afar, and just thought that the color was from the leaves. Isn't it beautiful? Thanks!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Beautiful, Janie! I love rain trees. We have them here, and my favorite part is when the gold blossoms turn to pink. I have a large one in the yard, and the pink blossoms look a little like Japanese lanterns. Ours bloom in the fall in Florida, and I look forward to it every year.

Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Beautiful Tree, I've never noticed one around here before.
Molly