Monday, October 18, 2010

Halloween Can Be Elegant, Too!

It's that time of year when our thoughts turn to the upcoming holidays and, for most of us, one of the first things we think about is decorating. Thanksgiving and Christmas are right around the corner — but first comes Halloween.

Halloween is probably my least favorite holiday, and I don't really do anything special, decorating-wise, to celebrate it. I have a pumpkin on a table on our porch (we'll help our granddaughter Avery Grace carve it into a jack-o-lantern next weekend), and that's about as decorated-for-Halloween as it gets at our house.

That's not to say that I don't enjoy looking at other people's decorating, though, and I even featured a Halloween Tour of Vicksburg Homes in a blog post last year.

While leafing through a couple of new magazines recently, I realized that Halloween decorating doesn't have to be limited to scary witches and monsters and creepy stuff. I discovered that decorations for Halloween can be elegant, too — just like Thanksgiving and Christmas!

Just look at some of these beautiful and imaginative creations (I borrowed all but a couple of these pictures from the Internet)...

Hmmmm ... you'd think that seeing all of those pretty decorations would inspire me to come up with some of my own, but I think I'll just wait for Thanksgiving. How about you? — do you decorate for Halloween?

7 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Janie, I used to go all out for Holloween when the boys were younger, made witches and scare crows, now I do more Fall Harvest decor with Mums, pumpkins, corn stalks, hay bales and such. No witches...lol.. though I do love to look at other folks
Molly

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, I am with you wholeheartedly. I can appreciate other people's creativity with Halloween, but I don't decorate for it either. I like cute things, not scary.

I have a goat cart on our porch filled with pumpkins, and a scarecrow is tending it. That's about as good as it gets here. ;-)

XO,

Sheila :-)

The Decorative Dreamer said...

I have only decorated more for Halloween this year because I had more time to do so. However, I do not go for the gorey stuff! I love all these photos you put together. There are lots of wonderful ideas!

RachelD said...

i'm also a Whatever-Is-Done-For-Halloween-Serves-For-Thanksgiving-As-Well person, though Caro has gotten into the mood this year. She has scarecrows and luminaria and pumpkins and lights all over the upstairs, though one pot of mums on the porch is about the extent of the outside stuff as yet.

She DID pull out a yukky old pair of rubber "hands" someone had given us years ago, and put them by the candy dishes.

And though I like your spider-festooned verandah, I cannot imagine that a child would brave that gantlet, no matter how good the candy.

I best love the little bright glowing windows of the houses, and the stack of Jack-o-LANTERNS with a real one to match.

Jenni said...

WO! I think that big 'ol furry spider staking out the cupcakes would def. help me keep my sweet tooth under control! LOL!

But I love those painted pumpkins, especially the gold metallic ones.

I don't do halloween... just put up Fallish stuff and it lasts til I pull out the Christmas things. thanks for the pics. They were fun!

Deb said...

I don't really decorate halloween...but I do Fall...very cool decorations you showed..

Carolyn said...

I don't do Halloween. I decorate for fall using pumpkins, gourds etc. but no scary or themed items. I am like Jenni, I decorate for fall til it's time for Christmas. I enjoyed looking at all the creative ideas though, especially the white pumpkins with black accents.
Carolyn