Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Haunted Antebellum Houses of Vicksburg: Lakemont

To continue my series of posts featuring the antebellum houses of Vicksburg with a history of "ghost" sightings, I'd like to tell you about a lovely house called Lakemont.

If you would like to read my previous posts featuring the "spirits" that share the beautiful Anchuca and Cedar Grove mansions with their owners, you can click on the links.

Lakemont was built in 1830, by Judge William Lake. Today, Lakemont is thought to be haunted by Lake's widow. The present owners claim to hear the rustle of petticoats and smell the overpowering scent of sweet, old-fashioned perfume. The presence is strongest during the month of October — the same month in which William Lake died.

Tradition holds that a cannonball also struck the front gate of Lakemont, which is still in use today.

Although Lakemont is not as large or grand as some of the other antebellum houses in Vicksburg, it is one of my favorites. I love its elegant Greek Revival columns gracing the front door.

Next at Southern Lagniappe: A visit to Duff Green Mansion

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying this series so much, Janie. Beautiful images and wonderful history!

D.B. said...

I love this house and it's story. Thanks again! I am about to work on a post featuring Franklin. I'm going to have to bring up your name and beautiful work!

Beth at Aunties said...

I love the south and ALL of her great history. Much I have learned through your wonderful blog.
This looks like a fun series you have been doing for this time of the year.
I enjoyed reading the history of this home and can not even imagine Lake's widow watching him killed. The cannonball sure did some damage. I too love the elegant columns and think it i a lovely home:)
I want to find time and read the part of your series I missed.
Thank You as always!~♥

Deb said...

great series...love the photos

RachelD said...

Images and imagery and imagination---lovely combination for a story-teller.

Thank you for this one, as well. Poignant and sweet.