Friday, January 6, 2012

An "Off the Beaten Path" Adventure


I haven't had time to go on many photo shoots recently, but a couple of days ago I left Vicksburg, driving East on Old Highway 80, and had a very pleasant morning just "looking for pictures waiting to be taken." I found several on Highway 80, but, unfortunately, had to leave them there because traffic conditions prevented me from stopping on the side of the road to capture them. Needless to say, that soon became very frustrating, so when I reached the small village of Bovina, Mississippi, I veered off the beaten path to explore the back roads of Warren County — and I wasn't disappointed by what I found.

I am always inspired to see that the spirit of patriotism can be found just about anywhere ...

This old country store is at a crossroads, and I would have loved to have gone inside, but thought better of it.

I took these pictures from my car, and while editing the pictures, I found several things I would have liked to have gotten a closer look at (you can click on the picture, if you'd like to get a closer look, too) ...

I always loved the old Bovina water tower, and captured this picture of it back in January of 2009.

That old tower is long gone now, torn down in the name of "progress," and replaced with a bright, shiny new blue tower.

Progress is a good thing, I guess, but, in some cases, it surely isn't as picturesque.

And speaking of picturesque ... you probably don't think of a muddy creek or river as being pretty, but, as I crossed a bridge over this muddy river, I could see beauty in the contrast of the blue sky and the starkness of the trees along the water's edge, and in the swift current of the river's muddy waters.

It was a very peaceful moment as I stopped to snap the picture, and listened to the wind in the trees and the sound of the river moving under the bridge.

Some of you may recall this picture of two blue chairs which I captured in May 2009 ...

I came across the chairs again on my latest adventure, and here they are as they look now ...

Not quite as inviting in January, but I think they still make an interesting picture.

Here's another picture I took that same day in May 2009 ...

I was glad to see that old chimney still standing ...

Just a few yards up the road from the chimney, I happened to notice this old rail car sitting way back off the road, almost hidden in a wooded area on the edge of a pasture (I took these pictures using my zoom lens, and you can click on them to enlarge them and get a closer look) ...

I took those pictures from my car, and as I was sitting there on the side of the road, the owner of the property pulled out of his driveway and stopped beside my car when he saw me taking pictures. I explained what I was doing, and he very graciously told me that his father had been a vice president with Illinois Central Railroad, and had bought the rail car many, many years ago. I wish I could have asked more questions about its history, but he was stopped in the middle of the road and I didn't want to keep him.

I was delighted to capture the train car, but as I passed by the owner's house ...

I noticed this old family cemetery sitting on a hill next to the house ...

I'm going to save its story for next time, and hope you will join me to find out what I discovered about it.

5 comments:

nancygrayce said...

I got a new camera and I need to do just what you're doing and get out and take some pictures!!!

I love the old railcar....

Lori said...

Love the pictures and my laptop sort of blew up this week so I writing from a new one -- my first experience with Windows 7 and getting it to organize files the way I want them appears to be the first challenge. The camera continues to work just fine!

We are having almost spring weather on this end of the Mississippi. Unless something very different happens we won't be sending flood waters your way this year.

Carolyn said...

Your out and about posts are my favorites!
Carolyn

Tonja said...

Old and rusty beats blue and shiny every time! Too bad! Someone should take the blue chairs and put them under the water tower! :) I remember the chimney pic...that is something I always enjoy looking at when I travel by car.

Oh, my! Those children's pictures are just beautiful! Avery is as cute as ever...and yes, the 'baby'in her face is almost gone. She has such a kindness in her eyes, too. I've noticed it before. Maddox is an absolute doll! Could he be any cuter? I know it was as fun for you as it was for us to have a baby around for Christmas! And, next year will be even better!

Please be careful as you make your stops along the road to capture these pics we all enjoy so much. Look both ways before opening your door or crossing the road! :) And, always keep your doors locked!

Blessings to you, my friend.

RachelD said...

And the kitchen sink, too!!

Just the word "Bovina"---which I'd never heard til you and Marty did your rambles about---conjures up old memories and memorable scenes.

The chairs, still ready and welcoming, the chimney just-as-was so long ago, and that TRAIN CAR!! I may well have stared at the very car on those Summer or nippy evenings so long ago, when the lure of the evening train carried me way down to the tracks, to look in and dream at the passenger windows, with their bright images inside. People going places, seeing new things.

THIS is my train now, I think, for I love to watch the world passing through your gifted lens.

Hope all is well and warm with all of you, my Faraway Friend!

rachel