Wednesday, September 26, 2012

A Case of the Late Summer Doldrums

For the past couple of weeks, I have been feeling listless and bored and just generally "out of sorts." I haven't been inspired to go out and take pictures or, if the truth be known, to go out at all.

I told my husband that I "needed to shake off the doldrums," and I decided to look up the word doldrums to see if that might be my problem. This is what I found:

Doldrums, as defined by Webster's — a spell of listlessness or despondency; a state or period of inactivity, stagnation, or slump.

Synonyms — Blahs, boredom, disinterest, inactivity, lassitude, letdown, listlessness, malaise, mopey, slump, stagnation, and tedium.

Sad to say, but I have experienced several, if not all, of those symptoms during the past few days [it took me a week to finish writing this post, if that tells you anything].

I googled the word "doldrums" and came across a couple of articles about the effect the changing of the seasons has on a lot of people. I've heard that some people who live where winters are long and especially cold and dreary experience serious mood changes, sleep too much, have little energy, or feel depressed. This condition is called "seasonal affective disorder," and I think I my problem is a case of the "late summer" doldrums.

I know this too, shall pass, especially when the weather gets serious about ushering in Fall, instead of teasing us with cool Fall-like mornings and 90-degree summer afternoons. I'm sure it's only a matter of time before I bounce back and regain my energy and inspiration ... but, until then, I hope you will excuse me if I revisit some of my "pictures and posts from the past."



The following post is from last September about this time, and features one of my favorite Fall plants here in Mississippi — the Croton (Codiaeum variegatum). It is a perfect "filler" plant to replace my long-faded and bedraggled summer flowers until I can plant pansies and snapdragons in late Fall. Its dazzling gold, orange, and red glossy variegated leaves are sure to add a blaze of color wherever you plant it.

They also do well in planters and urns ...



Crotons prefer bright light, and the sun really brings out the colors. They do well in the cooler fall temperatures here in Mississippi, but won't tolerate a freeze unless protected.

If crotons are hardy where you live, I think you would enjoy their beautiful display of fall colors, at least until Thanksgiving.

2 comments:

RachelD said...

The crotons are as if shining magnolia leaves took on every shade of gold and pumpkin and bronze and orange there is, on the way from their GREEN to that dusty-brown of their wither.

Lovely.

And doldrums. I cannot speak of those, for they are much too real and too enervating right now. These first few cool nights used to kindle getting-out-the-Fall-Stuff, with a casserole perfuming the house in the afternoon, and fleecy socks and cocoa just because.

Now, we went from 95 every day for weeks, to drizzle and 50s, with darkeny clouds sneaking over this glorious sunshine every time I look out the window.

Doldrums---yes, when the tide's not favorable and the winds don't blow for days, and your ship just sits there while the water stretches wide and the casks get low.

I'm just babbling so I can face away from this chairful of laundry.

Let's make a pact---to keep on keepin' on. Or fly a kite or make margaritas or SOMETHING!!

Feel better, Dear friend---I send thoughts of bright days and much energy and enthusiasm your way. Right now it's just thoughts, but who knows?

Pat said...

Janie,
Yes, we all have those kinds of days....my sister up in Nashville is feeling the same way. The coming of winter has always depressed her because she is such a bright and vibrant person and winter, thought it has it's own beauty is subdued.

One thing is for sure you brighten my day with your wonderful photos and beautiful writing.
Pat in Tallahassee