Saturday, September 1, 2012

September's Song

Oh, it's a long, long while
From May to December,
But the days grow short,
When you reach September.

I can't believe today is the first day of September, and just as the magnolias have faded, summer is beginning to fade away, too.

Even though it was a long and almost unbearably hot and humid summer here in Mississippi, and I'm happily looking forward to Fall, the changing of the seasons always makes me feel a little sad for some reason. Perhaps it is because the seasons mark the passage of time, and, as I get older, it seems that time is truly flying by. Our grandchildren are literally growing up before our eyes ... and I want to hold them close, as they are now ... for just a little longer.

Our family vacation was in July, and we had a wonderful time together in the Blue Ridge mountains, but, again ... before we knew it, it was time to say goodbye and head for home.

As I reflect on the summer, I realize that it was a good summer, filled with lots of sweet, fun memories ... and those won't ever fade away with the changing of the seasons. They will be with me as summer fades into Fall ... and Fall fades away into Winter ... and for the rest of my life.

I can't wait to see what Autumn brings our way. Hopefully, it will bring a family who wants to buy our house, so we can move forward with our plans to move closer to our grandchildren.

When the autumn weather
Turns leaves to flame,
One hasn't got time
For the waiting game.

Oh the days dwindle down
To a precious few ...
September, November...
And these few precious days
I'll spend with you.

[September Song]
Written by Maxwell Anderson and Kurt Weill

4 comments:

Merisi said...

September's song .... yes, it's like a Sirene's song, pleasing to listen to, but not without an undertone that makes us feel wistful, to say the least.

My favorite fall poem is by William Blake, "To Autumn" -
Autumn which sings the lusty song of fruits and flowers.

I like to think of September as late summer, still the thrill of summer, but a whisper of fall in the air, a reminder to use them well, the days we are given.

C M Designs said...

Good morning Janie, I understand !
Blessings, Charlotte

Dorothy said...

Beautiful writing and a beautiful, bitter/sweet song. I'm looking forward to Fall, too!

Tonja said...

My friend...you have a wistfulness to your voice.. And, I understand. Those dear grandchildren just keep growing and changing and becoming their own person. I see pics of LEVI at 2 or 3 and I just wanna go back. I take him to school every morning. And fix breakfast for him. Then I count the hours till he comes again!!
I also turned the big 65 this year...and it just hit me how much of life has passed. It goes too fast for me. So I just try to savor what I can...and make life happy for all I can.
Your friendship has always been so sweet. So glad we connected.
Have a beautiful week...enjoy the season! Blessings to you and yours.

Ps..I would love to see some pics of your grands. They were always so precious.