Saturday, March 22, 2014

First Hummer!

My husband and I were sitting on our porch last Tuesday, and I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw a flash of tiny wings hovering amongst the branches of the newly-planted Bottle Brush plant in our courtyard.  The first hummingbird of the season had arrived, although it seems very early, especially with the unusually cool temperatures recently.  

By the time I got my camera, he, or she, was gone, so I didn't get a picture that day.  I hoped he would be back and, sure enough, late yesterday afternoon he visited us again.  

This time, I was able to get a couple of really fuzzy pictures (taken from inside, through the glass on the porch door), but at least I captured him (or her) so I could record the little ruby-throat's arrival.


I made some hummingbird nectar (one part sugar to four parts water -- NO food coloring!  Boil to dissolve sugar, and cool before filling feeders) and hung my new "chandelier" hummingbird feeder near the Bottle Brush plant so he can find it.


Here are a couple of UNfuzzy close-up shots of the Bottle Brush blooms.  I'm sure he will prefer them, but at least he'll have a choice.



Hopefully, he, or she, will spread the word, and I will be able to get some good, unfuzzy hummingbird pictures soon. I can't wait!

4 comments:

Stacey said...

Hallelujah!! That's the best sign of spring of all. :)

We have been to San Diego twice in the last year and they have hummers there year round. I kept getting so excited to hear them and see them. The local people thought I was a weirdo. :)

Sue said...

I am anxiously waiting for my hummingbirds to come back, Janie. you not only have sweet nectar but beautiful flowers for them too! Tell them they are welcome here at the farm if they decide to travel north. ~smile~
Enjoy your weekend.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is exciting! xo

The Subtle Details said...

It is so nice to hear that someone is seeing signs of spring...It feels as if Mother Nature has us on a roller coaster this year.
I adore hummingbirds, but have had very little luck getting them to come to my city garden. I guess I will just have to continue enjoying the sight of them flitting about my parents apple trees.