Tuesday, March 11, 2014

Spring Makeovers


Not only did the extremely cold winter take its toll on our plants and flowers, our wrought iron furniture and outdoor decor seemed to fade and wither too.  

I took advantage of the springlike weather yesterday, and, with the help of several cans of spray paint, gave a few things a Spring "make over."    

The seat of this bench had started to rust, so I scraped it with a wire brush and smoothed the rusty areas.


Then I sprayed the seat with a primer and repainted it the same color (Rust-Oleum's 2X Ultra Cover "Satin Oregano").

We've had this little bench for many, many years and it had several layers of black paint and at least one coat of white paint through the years.  Needless to say, it was "chippy," and needed some help. 


After scraping and priming, it now adds some color to
the stone path leading from the courtyard to the back yard.

[Paint color is Rust-Oleum's 2X Ultra Cover in "Satin Lagoon," which you can find at Home Depot]
 I can't wait to add some spring flowers to the garden cart beside it.

And speaking of the garden cart ... it's next on my "makeover list," and I'm seriously considering painting it bright yellow.

  Will that be "tacky" beside the bold turquoise bench?

My final makeover for the day were my two geese, Maude and Claude.  Poor things ... their aluminum finish was showing through, and they looked like little orphans.
 Maude didn't look too happy about the whole thing ...

Perhaps she thought I was going to leave her the rusty primer color.

But I wouldn't do that to her.  I recently discovered a fantastic paint that is perfect for any kind of garden decor.  It is Krylon's "Make it Stone Textured Paint" in Cobblestone, which I found at Hobby Lobby.  Unfortunately, I bought all they had in stock and I'm not sure they will get any more.  

Here are Claude and Maude posing for their "after" picture.  
Maude still doesn't look very happy, does she!
                

Here are a few more makeovers I did using the Cobblestone paint.

Before ...
After ...
 Before ...
After ...
 Freddie the Frog ... after

I think I'm going to go ahead and paint my garden cart bright yellow and see how I like it.  That's the beauty of spray paint ... you can always change your mind!

3 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love that Cobblestone Paint! It is a great color, and I might need it for something here! Thanks, Janie!

Everything looks great that you did.

xo

Sheila

Carolyn said...

I really like the cobblestone paint. You have inspired me to spruce up for spring!

C M Designs said...

Oh, hurry, Mother Nature and make it feel like Spring.
Janie your spray paint choices are great.. Everything looks so nice-----just like brand new.
I'm going to have to visit either Home Depot or Lowes and get started on tables, chairs, our Heron and a few other things.
We're having strong winds and the temperature is going to fall from 72 degrees to the 20s tomorrow (Thurs). I don't like that one bit.
Have fun with your spray paint. Will be looking forward to see your garden cart.
Charlotte in Virginia