Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Lagniappe is All Around You

I've discovered that my interest in photography has literally opened up a new world for me. I've always loved and had an appreciation of Nature, but now I am even more aware of everything around me -- not just the scenery -- but sounds, and smells, and the way light and shadows give new dimensions to trees, grass, flowers, and buildings.

I "see pictures" everywhere I go ... like this old wooden cross leaning against an abandoned building. I'd love to know the story behind how it got there.

Or this clump of wildflowers growing out of a crumbling brick wall at a cemetery. I wonder how many people walk by and never see it, much less appreciate its simple beauty.

One of the most touching things that recently caught my eye was this sweet little angel watching over a cross on the side of a country road, marking the place where someone lost their life in an accident.

How many people drive by it every day and never really see it, or wonder about its significance?

And speaking of not seeing things, I never would have gotten these pictures if I had not stopped to take pictures of the flowers these little creatures were on:





They were beautiful, and I was so excited to get a little glimpse of their world through the lens of my camera.

I love venturing "off the beaten path" on my photo shoots, and one of the things I enjoy is the little metal "scripture signs" that people put in their yards beside the road. Not long ago, I began taking pictures of some of the signs, and now I find it hard to pass one by without capturing it with my camera. Here are a few of the scriptures I've collected during my wanderings.









Life is filled with lagniappe, and I encourage you to slow down and take the time to see it and appreciate it. Enjoy a sunrise or sunset, notice how the early morning sun highlights the treetops, turning them to gold, start your day by watching the birds at your feeders ... and if you happen to drive by a scripture sign in someone's yard, slow down and read the message. You never know ... it just might make a difference in your day.

8 comments:

Stacey said...

Good Morning Janie. My friend and I were just talking about how you appreciate things differently when you have been taking lots of pictures. It's a wonderful thing that comes from blogging.

Tonja said...

I, for one, have been truly blessed by your interest in photography! I so look forward to seeing what you have captured next! It is true...unless we slow down, and really 'look'...we do not 'see'. It is so easy to pass by the little things. But, the little things are where the true heart of life is. The big things are usually just for show...

Lisa said...

Yes, there is beauty in the most unlikely places, and you, dear friend , always seem to capture it. Thank you for sharing it with us.:)

Salmagundi said...

I wish I had your eye for the beautiful things in life. Thanks for sharing yours. Sally

RachelD said...

I can't wait to click on Lagniappe every morning---even if it says "17 hours ago" I still tune in, hoping it's something I missed, and don't care if it is. Second time around with pictures just shows more and more of the REAL of them.

These are so evocative of a drive through the countryside down South. The crosses and angels, the right-out-there unabashed Faith and Belief with no apologies and no blush. Wonderful.

I must confess, however, that the first picture---well, I grabbed the mouse and clicked in without my glasses. And I could squint and read the words fairly well, but then, the picture. It was a beautiful composition, with what I too to be a little abandoned garden scene, with the---um---hindside---of a fluffy white bunny there in the scruffy plants. I'm so embarrassed to admit that---I could see the glisten of the beautiful white fur, and everything.

THEN, I made the mistake of enlarging it to be sure, and it's a bucket!!! Joke's on me, and I did laugh. I cannot believe my eyes deceived me that badly, and now I almost wish I hadn't taken that closer look.

But then, a closer look at your art and your magic is always a wonderful thing. I'm wearing my specs now.

SmilingSally said...

Interesting post and great photograph.

bj said...

I love all these, Janie.
I didn't have an interest at all in photo.. but now I love it. I need a nicer camera and some lessons but I sure enjoy doing just what I do.
hugs, bj

Sue said...

Good Morning Janie,
What great photography!! I always enjoy the pictures you take, And you are right we do need take time to appreciate life. I so enjoyed each and everyone of them.
Blessings,
Sue