Friday, September 11, 2009

Whitewater Fun on the Ocoee River


Before I share my post for today, I'd like to share this quote by President John F. Kennedy:
Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, [and] oppose any foe, to assure the survival and success of liberty.

May God bless and protect the brave men and women who are paying the price ... bearing the burden ... and suffering personal hardships every day ... to ensure that America remains out of harm's way from terrorist attacks like the one we suffered on this day eight years ago.

This is a slideshow featuring some of my vacation pictures I took at the Whitewater Center on the Ocoee River near Copperhill, Tennessee. The Whitewater Center site was constructed for the purpose of holding the 1996 Olympic Canoe and Kayak Slalom competitions.

This was the first time these events were held on a natural river, and it was appropriate the Ocoee should be chosen as the site as it was already one of the most popular whitewater rivers in the world. And, as you can see in the slideshow, they don't call it "whitewater" for nothing!

Below the slideshow, I have included some pictures of wildflowers and berries I discovered growing along the river's edge, if you would like to scroll down and see them.

Be sure and turn your sound up before clicking on "Play"

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow:




3 comments:

Stacey said...

Hi Janie. :) That is one beautiful river but you wouldn't catch me in a canoe there! No way. It looks scary.

Barbara said...

Janie, Wow what a great video and what fun...I would love to do that and will remember that river, if Roy and I get back to tenn.

Thanks for sharing.
Barbara

RachelD said...

How I'd LOVE to take that ride!! I've only been inner-tubin' on the Guadalupe, but several of the drop-offs are so severe that you have to portage around, and the scenery is LOVELY.

And the little blazing flowers, like little pitcher-orchids! Aren't they just something? What a lovely trip you must have had.

Were you photographing any of that actually FROM the raft or kayak?