Wednesday, February 17, 2010

In Search of Spring

Vicksburg has been blessed with a couple of gorgeous days this week, with brilliant blue skies and an abundance of sunshine.

After practically hibernating for the past several dreary, wet, and cold weeks, I was delighted to venture out with my camera yesterday morning "to see what I could see." Actually, I had a mission in mind, and that was to search for Nature's signs that Spring is on its way. And, though I had to search for them, my patience and diligence paid off.

I took most of these pictures from my car, using my Canon 50D, with a zoom lens. You can click on the images to enlarge them, if you'd like.

A Redbud Tree just "budding out" ...

One of the first plants to bloom in this area is Forsythia. I passed by this one and almost didn't see the little tufts of yellow buds brightening the drabness of its branches. I turned around and got out of my car to get these shots.

In a week or two, this plant will be covered with delicate yellow blooms, and I hope I can remember to go back and capture it with my camera.

I almost missed this Flowering Quince plant, too. I wanted to get out and get some close-ups, but a dog was barking and I had second thoughts (one of these days, I may write a post about the perils and pitfalls some of us face while trying to get our photos).

The branches of this Japanese Magnolia (tulip tree) were loaded with buds and I can't wait til they open. Can you imagine how beautiful all those purple blooms will look against a sky that blue!

I think these bulbs are tulip bulbs, and they're on my "Go Back To See Later" list, too.

It was fun and encouraging to see these signs of Spring, and know that it is, indeed, on its way. We just have to be patient for a while longer ... like these little guys, who are eagerly waiting for Spring, too.

6 comments:

Audrey said...

Beautiful pictures. I am ready for Spring.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

I noticed some green shoots yesterday in my yard and i'm going back to investigate and take some photos today. I'm ready for a little bit of spring! Beautiful photos.

Unknown said...

I'm so ready for spring Janie! Hopefully, just a few weeks away!

You did a great job of photographing the spring shrubs...and provided lots of useful information too!
Thanks! :)

Tonja said...

I love the forsythis, and the quince! Amazing how fast it buds once it get started@

RachelD said...

I'm so glad to see that the snow and cold have not hindered the arrival of the February peek-outs!!

We're still wading it---the driveway has been blown, but still has about a three-inch ice coat, and the yard is maybe 10" for our short-legged FuzzyPup to wade through.

SPRING? We're lucky to see a SPRIG sticking out of the snow---perhaps this time next month.

Beth at Aunties said...

Thanks for the hope...You are about 6 weeks ahead of us.
I enjoyed your pictures and love Red Bud trees. ~♥