Monday, July 25, 2011

Elusive Magnolias

To every thing there is a season, and yesterday I discovered that this ISN'T the season for Magnolias to bloom, at least not in Vicksburg.

I drove through the Vicksburg National Military Park and Cemetery, and over half of Vicksburg, searching for Magnolia blossoms to capture with my camera, and didn't find one blossom!

I quickly discovered that the trees are loaded with seed pods now, and my quest to find the perfect blossom will have to be postponed for a while.

I did manage to capture some pictures of the pods, though, which, I think, have a beauty all their own (you can click on the pictures to get a closer look, if you'd like).

The cloudy skies made a rather stark background for my pictures, but I like the contrast, especially in this shot with the street lamp in the background.

While I was out, I captured a few lagniappe pictures which I will share next time, but the best lagniappe was waiting for me, of all places ... at home! This is what I saw when I turned into our driveway:

Yes, those are blossoms on one of our Little Gem Magnolia trees. The only problem is that they are at the very top of the tree, and there's no way I could get a good shot of them.

I guess I'm going to have to "stake out" my Little Gems and be ready to capture the first blossom within camera range.

To be continued ... again!

1 comment:

Richard Cottrell said...

Oh the magnolia is my favorite. I have two that I baby and adore. I still have a bloom or two. But, we are little latter here. We have had no rain and such heat, I am watering my babies. Thanks for sharing.They are beautiful. RC at My Old Historic House,