Monday, January 2, 2023

It's All in How You Look at It

Dave Gardner was a popular southern comedian in the 1960s, and one of his favorite sayings was, "It's all in how you look at it and all in how you study it."

I took a picture of a shady little creek running through Mynelle Gardens in Jackson, Mississippi, a few years ago. It was a warm spring day, and the ferns, rocks, and trickling water were a cool, welcoming sight.


I've always liked the picture and wanted to use it in our new home, so I had it printed on a large canvas. Unfortunately, when we hung the canvas, I was disappointed in how it looked on the wall space. Something just wasn't "right," and it didn't take me long to realize that the shape and size of the wall dictated that a vertically-shaped picture would look better than the landscape orientation of the canvas.

I turned the picture vertically to see how it would look and was amazed at the transformation. Not only did the image's shape look much better on the wall space, but the picture itself was transformed. The little creek appeared to be a rock face with water trickling down it, and the ferns and plants seemed to be growing out of the rocks.


Perspective is an amazing thing, and as I stood and looked at the picture on the wall, I wondered if anyone would notice that it's actually a picture of a creek turned 90 degrees on its side. I guess it will depend on "all in how they look at it and all in how they study it," right?

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I have missed this.......may the new year be your best ever! blessings!

Beth said...

A beautiful thought for the new year - and I like the picture both ways!