Thursday, January 29, 2009

Rambling Around Vicksburg -- Part II

Cedar Hill Cemetery in Vicksburg is one of my favorite places. Every time I go, I discover new and interesting things to photograph. I honestly think I could spend an entire day there exploring and never get bored or tired. This may sound strange, but it's almost like a spiritual experience.

I guess that's why my Tuesday afternoon outing ended there. The clouds were rolling in when I arrived and the skies looked threatening, but the rains held off and I enjoyed just driving and walking around, stopping when something caught my eye.

I didn't get any really spectacular pictures, but I loved rambling through the old monuments, some of which are truly works of art. Like this beautiful lady ...


A view of the Confederate Cemetery ...

Also called "Soldiers Rest," it is beautiful in the summertime. I took this picture when I was there last July ...

I love the simplicity of
this little ivy-covered cross ...

There are several stones like this one that have been "embraced" by trees ...

One of my favorite spots in the cemetery ...

As I was leaving the cemetery, I noticed this old stone cross, tangled in ivy and vines, sitting on a bluff beside the road ...

I want to go back sometime and get a closer look at that one ... perhaps in the spring.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Morning Janie! What beautiful pictures in these last 2 posts! Did you pay that horse??? You captured him in motion perfectly!!! My favorite "kudzo"; that stuff is amazing and I love the old school bus popping against the dried up vines. All the pictures are interesting! Glad you enjoyed your Tuesday adventure. Have a great weekend - Til later, Jeannette

Anonymous said...

Morning Janie! What beautiful pictures in these last 2 posts! Did you pay that horse??? You captured him in motion perfectly!!! My favorite "kudzo"; that stuff is amazing and I love the old school bus popping against the dried up vines. All the pictures are interesting! Glad you enjoyed your Tuesday adventure. Have a great weekend - Til later, Jeannette

YaYa's Funhouse said...

Again I say, beautiful pictures. You do an awesome job. Makes me want to go exploring for photo opportunities.

southerninspiration said...

I'd love to go on one of your meandering adventures one day! You take exquisite pics!!!

Suzanne

Jon said...

Janie...just delightful to see familiar sights of our lovely area through your eyes and camera lens with your spot-on observations.....giving me a different perspective than my own..and making me appreciate the beauty and charm of the Vicksburg area even more.

Jon at Mississippi Garden

The Quintessential Magpie said...

How wonderful, Janie! I love all of the photographs, and I particularly like that last one. I love the Victorian and early monuments; they are all so beautiful. Thanks for sharing. Keep 'em coming! :-)

XO,

Sheila

Beth at Aunties said...

I once more enjoyed your pictures and especially the Soldiers rest. So many have died for the freedoms we enjoy.
Thanks for inviting us on your fun adventures seeing your historical and beautiful area.

Enjoy your day!

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
I'm so glad you were able to get out on the one mild day we've had. LOL

I am so ready for warmer weather and sunny skies.

The photos are great! I really love that ivy covered cross!

Happy picture taking!

Diane

Steve Buser said...

Sounds and looks like you have the meandering down to a science. Make that down to an art.