Friday, May 29, 2009

A Monument to a Southern Gentleman

Today I'd like to share some photos I took recently during a trip to Crystal Springs, Mississippi. As I passed an old cemetery in Utica, Mississippi, this monument caught my eye ...

This man's name was Frost Kelley, and he died at the young age of 39 (1870-1909). Unfortunately, that's all I know about him. He looked so handsome standing there ... like a southern gentleman dressed in his finest, including his pocket watch and hat. And judging by the epitaph, he was a southern gentleman. It reads: "He was an honor to the earth on which he lived, and worthy of the heaven to which he has gone."

I was amazed at the extraordinary details the sculptor captured forever in stone. He was truly an artist and this is one of the most lifelike monuments I've ever seen, right down to the hint of a double chin (if you click on the pictures to enlarge them, you can appreciate the details) ...



If you enjoy visiting old cemeteries and are ever in the Utica, Mississippi area, stop by and pay your respects to Mr. Kelley and tour the rest of the cemetery. There are some very old markers, ruins, and monuments there.

If you'd like to read about another trip I made to Utica, you can click here.

5 comments:

Julie @ Sweet Chaos said...

Wow, what a great piece of history. This sculpture is beautiful. I don't think I'd want one of myself like that though!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

That is amazingly lifelike. I wonder who he is. Love your photos, Janie. They are always so memorable. Still lovin' that 1959 house...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tonja said...

What charming words on the epitaph. I do not think I've ever heard those before. Wonder what he did? Whatever it was, he must have been important to cause such a beautiful memorial. It does indeed have amazing detail!

Beth at Aunties said...

I enjoy your visits to the old cemetaries and your beautiful pictures.
The artist was incredible as he does seem so life like. Reading the different memorials always makes me wonder about the people and the families they left behind.
Thanks for your sweet comment...

~*~Patty Szymkowicz said...

Wonderful photos of this stone gentleman! I adore statues and cemeteries. For memorial day we visited Oak Hill Cemetery in Wash DC, it's 160 years old and the stone angels are amazing! I would Love to visit MS one day :)
stopped by to wish you a Happy Pink Saturday too