Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Old Court House Museum - Final Chapter!

This is the final chapter in my series of posts featuring a recent visit to the Old Court House Museum in Vicksburg, Mississippi. If you missed the first posts and would like to read them, you can click on the following links:
The Court House - Part 1
Court House Lagniappe - Part 2
Downstairs at the Court House - Part 3
Upstairs at the Court House - Part 4
Court House Tour - The Attic!
Court House Tour &#151 Up on the Roof!
In this post, I would like to share a few pictures I captured of the two Records Rooms, which are found on the third floor of the courthouse.

Closed to the public, the records rooms are lined with primitive shelves overflowing with old tax records and court dockets, dating back to the 1800s. There were also old pictures, memorabililia, and boxes, full of no telling what kind of treasures.

Even though some of the books looked as if they had sustained water damage and what appeared to be scorching, I thought they were beautiful.

Can't you just imagine the stories found between those tattered pages!

A faded binding of Vicksburg Evening Post newspaper editions on this shelf caught my attention. The dates were almost illegible, but range from sometime in the 1800s to 1911.

I found this old picture of the courthouse especially interesting.


If you look carefully at this next picture, you can see a man working on the front sidewalk leading to the front of the building (you can click on the picture to enlarge it to see the details). I wonder why he was working there alone?


This is the second records room.
The old piece of machinery in the corner is the old clock works from the tower.



This concludes my tour of the Old Court House Museum. I hope you enjoyed reading about it as much as I enjoyed my visit. Not only is the building an architectural masterpiece, it is rich in history and houses a treasure trove of artifacts and memorabilia which are a significant part of not only the history of Vicksburg and Mississippi, but of U. S. history, as well. If you plan to visit Vicksburg sometime, I encourage you to make the Museum part of your tour. I promise you won't be disappointed.
I would like to thank the museum's gracious curator, Mr. Bubba Bolm, and my patient tour guide Jordan, for making it possible for me to see the very heart of the Old Court House ... and for the greatest thrill of all &#151 the opportunity to capture pictures of the City from the roof. I'll never forget it.





















3 comments:

Dorothy said...

I have really enjoyed your Courthouse series!! You must have special connections to get a tour like that! Wouldn't it be fun to have time to look, and access to all those old records????? Fun stuff!

LindaG said...

Wow. I agree. What treasures could be found in some of those books?

Thanks for sharing your tour with us. :o)

Carolyn said...

Loved visiting the Court house and the books...what a treasure! Thanks for taking us along.