Saturday, February 28, 2009

Vicksburg Vignettes -- Part II

Thank you for joining me for Part II of my "Vicksburg Vignettes" photo shoot (if you haven't read Part I, and would like to, click here).

Here are a few more pictures I captured "off the beaten path" in downtown Vicksburg ...



I love the red doors of Holy Trinity Church, one of the most beautiful churches in Vicksburg ...

Can you imagine the size of the loads this old tugboat used to push up and down the Mississippi?

These pretty irises growing in
another churchyard caught my eye ...

This sign marks the old Sisters of Mercy Convent which was built in 1868.

Some of the rooms downstairs have been restored, but "upstairs in the convent, it's still pretty much like it was when the Sisters left. The rooms where they lived are tiny and don't have any luxuries. You had to really want to be a nun." The convent is going to be part of the Vicksburg Spring Pilgrimage next month, and I'd love to see inside this beautiful old building.

My next stop was a residential area which is home to this truly amazing little playhouse ...

Yes, that's a PLAYHOUSE! I wish I could have gotten closer to capture the details of this exquisite little house. The roof appears to be covered with slate, and it even has a little wrought iron fence surrounding it like the fence surrounding the big house.

Here's the real house it belongs to ...

I would like to meet the lucky little girl, or girls, for whom the playhouse was built and hear the story behind its creation. Wouldn't you love to see the inside!

I enjoyed looking at Vicksburg from a different perspective ... and I look forward to doing that everywhere I go now. I'm sure I'm going to be pleasantly surprised by all the new and interesting things I see that were there all along and I never saw them ... like "huge one-eyed bears in windows."

10 comments:

Kitty Scraps said...

I've enjoyed seeing your pictures of Vicksburg! I get the same feeling inside looking at them as I get when I visit Charleston, there's a lure there... Hard to describe but I bet you understand since you live in the midst of such a history filled place. It speaks to the imagination, wondering what it was like back when it was all new, how people lived, what they enjoyed, etc. Keep your pictures coming, I'm certainly loving them *smiles*

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wonderful, wonderful photos, Janie!

While I loved them all, what caught my eye was that mailbox on the back of what looked like a downtown business but might be a residence. Neat!

And that playhouse! WOW! The cross with the purple drape, the iris, the convent, all of your pics are lovely.

Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I've enjoyed going on this little excursion with you! Lovely!
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Kris said...

Your photos are beautiful. I love all the old buildings. I visited Vicksburgh years ago, about 10+ to be exact. I didn't get to spend a lot of time there and always wanted to go back. After seeing your photos I think I'll start planning that trip.

Kris

~TexasLady~ said...

I love Vicksburg. I was born in Meridian Ms, but my family moved to Dallas Texas when I was 4. Every single year growing up, we always went back to Meridian to visit family for summer vacation, and I always told my parents, if I fall to sleep, PLEASE wake me up before we cross that big bridge over the Mississippi River into Vicksburg. That was always a big deal to me. We stopped a few times at the old Civil War battle field/grave site. Thank you for the pictures and for bring back some good ole memories*! Have a blessed afternoon. _Carol

Anonymous said...

Hi Janie! PLAYHOUSE are you sure????lol I would move right in there this minute! Can't you just see that decorated for Christmas! That's your future assignment; to go back and snap a picture!lol I love stone bldgs. but brick is right up there too! I've always had a red door on my home and love the shade on the church's door! My father carves wood ships (they are outstanding!never took a lesson either) and he made a tugboat too; he would love this! Hope you are enjoying your weekend - til later, Jeannette

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
I enjoyed part 2 of your Vicksburg tour!

The details in the photos and your eye for beauty are wonderful!

Love that playhouse!

Jon said...

Janie,
Enjoyed seeing these interesting photos very much. Re that little playhouse...there was a feature in the Vicksburg Post last year about it, but I can't remember the specifics except for the cute little twin girls who were playing in it in the article's picture. Now don't you know they have lots of fun?

Jon at Mississippi Garden

Barbara said...

Oh Janie, the pictures are fantastic,,I say again my husband would be able to stay in downtown for days studying the old buildings.It is cold here again,in fact it says 34 right now. I am so tired of the switching back and forth.
Come see me.

Faye said...

I love your photos and your blog. I just found a vintage postcard of the Vicksburg Hotel. Is this the same hotel that your photographed? http://fayedodgeszombies.com/2010/02/25/vintagepostcards/