Friday, February 20, 2009

Wild Things! -- Part II

This is a continuation of my photo journal of a recent visit to the Jackson Zoo. I hope you will click on the pictures to enlarge them and see the amazing details in the faces of the animals.

Around the corner from the leopard's home, we found the elephants. But first, I'd like to share some photos I took along the way.

These two guys were sunning themselves beside their pond ...

... and were probably daydreaming about
sharing a pond with these little fellows ...



The Zebra almost faded into the wall behind him, and stood still as a statue while I took his picture ...

These two antelopes paused for their portraits, too ...


What a cute little guy ...
he looks like he's smiling at me.

These two little critters are Red River Hogs, whose natural habitat is Africa. They can weigh up to 200 pounds, and live in herds.

This sweet little antelope was in a large pen with some monkeys. I couldn't believe how big his eyes are ...

Sorry, I wandered off the beaten path for a moment. We were on our way to see the African Elephants, and there were two of them ...

This one was friendly and proceeded to show me how he eats rocks ...

I was amazed at the way his trunk curled around the rock ...

I have to admit that it was rather daunting to see this big guy lumbering toward me, fence or no fence ... but isn't he magnificent!

This ends Part II of my zoo photo shoot. I hope you will join me tomorrow for the rest of the story.

Sincerely,

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great pics Janie. The different animals have always fascinated me!

I'll check back tomorrow for the rest of the pics!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Wow! Wonderful pictures, Janie! I once saw a flock of flamingoes in the wild and nearly wrecked the car. They are amazing. And while I love the others, I have a special spot in my heart for elephants. And that last shot is so sweet. I want to give him some peanuts SO bad! I once fed an elephant my Snickers Bar. Shhhhh... don't tell! ;-)

Love to you...

XO,

Sheila :-)

nikkicrumpet said...

I love zoos. They are one of my most favorite places to visit. And those are some great photos!

Sue said...

Janie,
I just loved these pictures, and I did click and it was like I was there. What fun you must of had. I love zoos!!! Blessings,
Sue