Sunday, May 24, 2009

18,000 Flags

On Friday, May 22nd, in anticipation of several Memorial Day ceremonies scheduled for the weekend, hundreds of volunteers placed flags on 18,000 graves in the Vicksburg National Cemetery in the Military Park.

I drove through the park before 7:00 A.M. Saturday morning, and it was truly a beautiful and moving sight to behold.

I'm going to let my pictures speak for themselves, as we honor our veterans, especially those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for their country ... their lives.

I would also like to remember with gratitude our servicemen and women who risk their lives every day to keep America out of harm's way. May God protect them as they protect us, and bless them and their families for the sacrifices they make for us.

Here are a few of the photos I captured of the flags in the park (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like) ...







Best wishes to you and your family for a
safe and memorable Memorial Day celebration.

2 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Blessing on this special weekend. God Bless America.

RachelD said...

Thank you, Janie---beautiful and moving, indeed.

I've been there several times, but never to such a display of honor and patriotism and remembrance. I'm so glad you captured it for us to share and remember.