Thursday, May 28, 2009

A Birdhouse Village

I love birdhouses ... in all shapes, sizes, and styles. They don't even have to be functional. I have several on our back fence which I can see from my office window.




I'm always on the lookout for unusual houses that will complement my collection, with the idea of eventually having a little "birdhouse village," similar to the "snow villages" some people display at Christmastime.

With that in mind, I "googled" pictures of birdhouses, and would like to share some of my favorites, ranging from primitive and rustic to purely decorative and elegant (aka expensive). I'll start with this rustic handmade Amish house ...

And here's another little primitive birdhouse I'd love to add to my collection ...

Red seems to be a popular color, and I love this pretty red house and unique barn ...


Isn't this a pretty folk art house!

No village would be complete without a diner and a train station, right?


I live in Vicksburg, Mississippi, which is perched high on the bluffs of the Mississippi River and steeped in Civil War history. So you can imagine my delight when I came across the next two birdhouses ...


Don't you just love Google!

I mentioned "elegant" and "expensive" earlier -- you can buy this elegant birdhouse from Frontgate for $549.00!

I don't think my little cardinals and wrens will ever live in a house like the next ones, unless they win the lottery ...



But I can picture them perched on this pretty church house singing their little hearts out on a Sunday morning ...

It would be difficult to choose just one of these birdhouses, but I think I would pick the little red rustic house. Did you notice that it is mounted on what appears to be a shovel handle? How neat is that!

4 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

We share something else in common, Janie! I just love birdhouses, too! I have one similar to that one that has the woodshake roof in the last picture of the three white ones. I got it for a bargain so keep looking! Love all the ones you shared. Thanks. It's always a treat to come to your blog!

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tonja said...

I love them all. I have quite a collection of birdhouses, but have not put them up here yet, since we moved.

I especially love the folk art house...that would be my pick!

Celene said...

I love birdhouses too. I have a very colorful Victorian purple martin house sitting on a bench on my garden. Blessings, Celene

Anonymous said...

Morning Janie! I enjoyed looking at all your birdhouses and the ones you'd love to own!! I've always loved them and think it must be related to my secret dream of wanting to be an architect or carpenter so I could build houses; Birdhouses seem like something I could make without the degree!!!lol Although I'm fond of small bird statuary too or anything bird related so I guess it all goes together! Now if only we could do something about the messiness they leave!!!lol Have a great weekend! Sincerely Jeannette