Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Christmas Mantel

Happy December 1st!

This is a follow up to my post from yesterday which featured my mantel decorations for this Christmas. If you would like to read that post before seeing my "after" pictures, you can click here — Christmas Mantel: Stage One

As I mentioned in my previous post, I wanted to do something different with the mantel this year. This is a picture of last year's mantel featuring some old holly vines with berries and birds scattered amongst the vines ...

As you can see, it's kind of plain and simple, and I just wanted a change this year.

I added a garland of greenery, two old brass candlesticks and globes I rescued from our attic, the old holly vines, birds, and a string of lights.

I wanted battery-operated lights, but spent a very frustrating morning yesterday trying to find some with clear mini bulbs, and finally came home empty-handed. I decided I would just use a string of regular lights and try to hide the cord as best I could.

I was delighted to find an old string of yellow and white lights in the attic that I bought many years ago at a flower shop in Jackson, Mississippi. With the help of my sweet, very patient husband, who moved our two-ton television cabinet out from the wall so I could plug in the lights, I wrapped the garland with the lights and he set up a remote outlet so they can be turned off and on with the light switch.

After adding the holly vines and birds, I was pleased with the way it all turned out (you can click on the pictures to get a closer look, if you'd like).

I've had the little birds for years, and even though they are looking kind of "scruffy," I love them.

I have found my blog to be a wonderful source of reference when decorating, because I can look back at my pictures from previous Christmases to see what I did then, and either copy it or make changes, as I did with the mantel.

I'm doing my decorating a little at a time, and my next project is one of my favorites — setting up our Nativity set. I hope to work on it today and will share pictures in tomorrow's post.

7 comments:

nanny said...

Looks perfect! I love the birds too.... they add a wonderful touch to your mantel.

nancygrayce said...

Beautiful!!! and I do find the same thing about the looking back to see what I've done in the past!

RachelD said...

Elegantly charming, lush and beautiful---perfect for your lighting and your home.

southerninspiration said...

Very elegant and pretty!

Suzanne

Deb said...

wow...beautiful...very festive

Jenni said...

oh, so sweet! I just love the natural Christmassy look you have achieved. And the little birds are too sweet for words.....

LinWots said...

Even better than it was. SO... SO SO MUCH beautiful it is now. You have a good taste.