Saturday, December 4, 2010

Poinsettias -- Stars of Bethlehem

Most of us probably have one or more Poinsettias brightening a corner of our house for the holidays, but have you ever really looked at them up close?

This one is just a little $3.99 plant from Home Depot, but just look at how glorious it is ...

I did a little research on Poinsettias and discovered that they are native to Mexico. They were named after America's first Ambassador to Mexico, Joel Poinsett, who brought the plants to America in 1828.

The Mexicans in the eighteenth century thought the plants were symbolic of the Star of Bethlehem. Thus, the Poinsettia became associated with the Christmas season. The actual flower of the poinsettia is small and yellow, but surrounding the flower are large, bright red leaves, often mistaken for petals.

Even the finest handmade ruffles can't hold a candle to this one made by God ...

This is probably a busy weekend for most of us, getting ready for Christmas — but in the midst of all the decorating, cooking, baking, and shopping, I hope we can take the time to "stop and smell the roses," and take a closer look at a Poinsettia or two along the way.

5 comments:

RachelD said...

I do. I always do, and there's a small one atop the china cabinet this minute, inside the big faceted punchbowl and reflecting red shards all around.

I had a good look into it the several days it was down low, and am enjoying it now as a color-show, I think, more than as a flower.

Thank you for seeing and sharing such overlooked and beautiful bits of the lagniappe in our lives!

rachel

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

The Ponsettia is the most beautiful flower to fill a room with at Christmas times, I always place one on my Mom's grave and also on my MILs.
Molly

Jenni said...

I too, have been fascinated by the history of the poinsettia. Thanks for reminding me today, that there is so much more to these lovely plants than meets the eye at first glimpse.

Our sweet neighbors just brought us over a gorgeous poinsettia plant, and we are really enjoying those festive, showy, Christmasy colors!
I never cease to be amazed at what an Artist the Master Creator is.....

Tonja said...

What glorious plants these are! I always love to have them in the house around the holidays! They just help the house feel like Christmas!

Richard Cottrell said...

Love your blog, I just started one you might like. Please drop by and see. If you like it pass it on. Thanks, Richard myoldhistorichouse.blogspot.com