Wednesday, February 9, 2011

A Promise of Spring

After a cold and gloomy Monday, Tuesday dawned bright and sunny in Vicksburg. After it warmed up a bit, I drove toward downtown in search of any signs that Spring may be on its way. As I drove by the Old Court House Museum, I was delighted to see a little "fringe" of buds popping out on the Dogwood Trees surrounding the courthouse.

Can you believe that sky!

The little buds are still tightly curled, as if they're saying to themselves, "Not yet ... not yet."

I found this Redbud Tree not far from the Court House ...

Can you see the tight little knots of red buds dotting the branches?

My next stop was at one of my favorite houses in Vicksburg — this grand old "Painted Lady."

I took that picture last summer, and just inside the fence on the right side, there is a tree. It is a Japanese Magnolia Tree, and this is the way it looked yesterday ...

My heart skipped a beat when I saw all those glorious buds ...

This sweet little Hyacinth pushing its way through the leaves at Duff Green Mansion made me smile, too.

My last stop was to visit a Bradford Pear Tree, which I captured in all its glory last Spring.

I was sad to see that someone had done a terrible job of "limbing it up." This is what it looked like yesterday:

Hopefully, it won't look so bad in a few weeks when all these buds open ...

This is our weather forecast for today:

"A few showers possible this morning, then a wintry mix expected to move in during the afternoon hours. Snow accumulating one to two inches."

Hopefully, all those tender little buds will stay curled up tight against whatever our weather brings us these last few weeks of winter, as they give us hope and a promise that Spring is, indeed, on its way.

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Can't believe you have buds already. That won't happen here for awhile still. My redbuds don't get buds till March. Looking out my window at solid snow. :)

RachelD said...

OH, Janie, I need this so much right now!! Promises of Spring are so vague and wispy somewhere out there, and the ice so persistent and grimy and HERE. It's Eleven deeeegreees!

Buds and sunshine and the prospect of a pleasant drive that features something---even brown grass---that's not slicked with ice over gray snow.

Thank you for the reminder that Spring WILL COME!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love this time of year when the new leaves seem to sing, there is hope, a new day is just around the corner..wait for us.
Molly

Deb said...

oh the dreams of spring..

Carolyn said...

Oh, I love that blue sky! I have a few buds in the yard and I am hoping the freezing weather tonight won't harm them. Spring has such a lovely sound.
Carolyn

Jenni said...

what a beautiful blue sky... there's an old song from the WW2 era that goes something like: "nothin' but blue skies, from now on...."

Wouldn't that be great? it's def. not so here in Texas. We are getting a hard freeze tonight.... but thanks for those pics that bravely declare "Spring is waiting in the Wings for her gorgeous chance on the stage"

Can't wait to see our Bradford pear in all it's glory this year...
Jenni