Tuesday, May 3, 2011

A Ride Through the Delta

There's a place in Mississippi, not too far from here, where the land is flat and stretches as far as the eye can see. It's called "the Delta," and is home to some of the most fertile soil in the world.

My husband and I took a drive through the Delta last weekend, and I captured a few pictures along the way.

This time of year farmers are at their busiest, leveling and plowing fields, sowing and fertilizing, their tractors either hidden in clouds of dust ...

Or lost in a sea of green ...

There are wheat fields of gold ...

And corn fields of emerald green ...

The soybean fields look like huge patchwork quilts, with neat, straight-as-an-arrow rows crowned with tender little green soybean sprouts.

It's always a pleasure to travel through the Delta, no matter what time of year ... and I never tire of photographing it. If you missed my post from yesterday, you can scroll down below this post to read about the recent loss of one of the Delta's most treasured landmarks.

I have a busy day ahead, so this is a short visit. Thank you for stopping by.

2 comments:

RachelD said...

Oh, Dear Friend!

From the very first word, and the scent of First Turning just drifting from the screen---what a warm view of sunshine, whilst our clouds are still steadily pouring on us.

I swear I recognize all those fields. Clean green for the eyes, and balm for the spirit.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I'll never forget seeing those low, flat fields (back then full of cotton) for the first time. Amazing. Fields far as the eye could see.

Thanks for your prayers and well wishes, Janie. I felt some better today, but I'm going to try not to push it. I have a tendency to do that, but this time, I'm going to try and be wise.

Love you...

XO,

Sheila :-)