Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Forever in Pictures

I took a ride in the country last week and took my camera along in hopes of capturing some of Fall's glory. It was a beautiful fall day, and I enjoyed just "being out in it." I managed to find a few things along the way that I thought were worthy of preserving in pictures "for posterity."

This colorful possum haw tree was on a fence row, and there was no way I could ignore its bright red berries beckoning me to stop.

You can find these growing up and down fence rows along the interstates in Mississippi and Louisiana, and they are especially pretty in January when everything is in its "winter drab" season.

I love traveling old U.S. Highway 80, and, as I entered the city limits of the little town of Bolton, Mississippi, I spotted this garden that appeared ready to be "put to bed" for winter.

The reason it caught my eye was because the bean posts reminded me of crosses ...

I need to go back in the spring and summer and capture this garden at its peak season. It is always a sight to behold.

Bolton is a very small rural community, but several things jumped out at me as "worthy" of being preserved in a picture.

I usually try to capture the water tower of every town I visit, and the Bolton tower, looming above the Bolton police station, was easy to find ...

I found this glorious tree beside the railroad tracks, not too far from "downtown."

The red door on St. Mary's Episcopal Church beckoned loudly to me ... isn't it beautiful!

There are several charming old houses in Bolton, and I stopped to capture a couple of them.

This little cottage was beside a larger house, but the yard was a good bit higher than the street and I didn't want to trespass, so I'm afraid my picture is kind of "blurry." Isn't it sweet, though! I love its rusty red roof.

And I love this pretty setting. The bench and chairs looked so inviting ...

My next stop in Bolton was to capture this Gingko tree ...

I had to be quick, though, because there were a couple of dogs barking at me and I wasn't sure if they were behind a fence, or not!

As I was driving away, I did a double take when I saw these breathtakingly beautiful Morning Glories growing on a post in front of the house with the barking dogs. Dogs, or not, I was determined to capture those flowers and took these pictures from the safety of my car ...

I was happy that I had my zoom lens with me and was able to capture a few close ups. Otherwise, I think I would have had to risk meeting the barking dogs face to face in order to get a closer look at those magnificent Morning Glories.

As I headed out of Bolton, I decided to loop back over I-20 to one of my favorite country roads. Although it's just a plain little country road, I can always "find pictures" waiting to be captured. Here are the ones I found last week ...

I love the contrast between the colorful foliage and the darkness of the woods in the background ...

It's always nice to look back at my pictures and remember the sights and sounds that surrounded me the day I took them. Like the train that was whizzing past me as I took the picture of the tree beside the railroad tracks ... and the barking dogs that made capturing that gingko tree even more interesting. And the "how great Thou art" thoughts I had as I captured those glorious leaves beside that little country road.

My drive in the country was refreshing and uplifting, and I'm so pleased I captured a little of it forever in my pictures.

3 comments:

Jenni said...

Oh it's so wonderful to have time to visit you again, dear Southern Friend......as usual, your fab lens has captured details of Southern Glory! so detailed they tell a story.....

Hugs,
Jenni

Pat said...

Janie,

It was fun to travel with you to Bolton, Mississippi this morning. I could hear the train and the dogs barking, and feel the fresh morning air.

Your pictures are always so charming and inspiring and I love how you "see" the beauty of everything.

Fun to travel down a Mississippi backroad. Pat in Tallahassee

RachelD said...

All the seasons and scenes that there are, all in one post. I've just looked my eyes full and marvelled, at the beautiful of it, and at your gift for putting it in a treasure-box to keep each moment.

Simply wonderful, faraway friend.

I LOVED your sweet comment on the Anniversary Post---your faithful reading and commenting and kind words over these four years have been some of my most wonderful blessings.

love and,

rachel