Thursday, January 28, 2010

A Natural Wonder on the Natchez Trace

The Natchez Trace Parkway runs from Natchez, Mississippi, to just outside of Nashville, Tennessee, a distance of 444 miles. It is a beautiful and relaxing drive and, living in Mississippi, we take advantage of its beauty any time we can.

On our trip home from Tennessee last week, we entered the Trace from Tennessee Highway 64, between Lawrenceburg and Waynesboro, Tennessee. A few miles down the Trace, we stopped at a rest area (Glenrock Branch at Mile Marker 364.5), and were delighted to see a little creek meandering its way between high limestone bluffs. I was absolutely thrilled, and couldn't wait to capture it all with my camera (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like).

There were several picnic tables at water's edge, and I can just picture it in the spring and summertime, with children wading in the creek while their parents enjoy the tranquility and beautiful scenery.

I loved this natural rock formation which looked, to me, like a picnic table made by God, with its tablecloth of bright green moss. Isn't it awesome!

This is another place I'm going to add to my "Go-Back-in-the-Spring-to-Photograph" List. I can just imagine redbuds and dogwoods in full bloom along the creek.

There are scenes like this all along the Natchez Trace, some of them visible from the road and some you have to look for ... but, believe me, they are well worth taking the time to see. If you live near the Trace or are planning a trip somewhere along its route, I hope you will take some time to explore it for yourself. It is such a beautiful and relaxing way to travel.

10 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gorgeous, Janie! The perfect spot for a picnic! :-)

kittrellphoto said...

I hereby decree that you can no longer go on trips...unless you make room for me to go, too!

RachelD said...

Wonderful, and so many memories!

I looked at them all, just soaking in the cool serenity of the place, and noticing that there was not a single trace of Man's passing.

Then I enlarged them, and on the very first, there certainly WERE markers of Man's Passing---engraved on the stones---but that only added to the history and the feeling of tranquility.

I remember such a place, as we took a road trip across the South on our honeymoon---it was in Alabama, I think, and I've longed to visit again that great expanse of moss-covered rocks, with the little stream and the quiet peace of the place broken only by the music of the waterfall.

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Beautiful! Love the photos.

Donna said...

Janie, Beautiful pictures! I have actually been through Wartrace and Bell Buckle. My old boss had walking horses and has a farm in Shelbyville near there. We were coming back from Nashville and took a detour and visited the places I had heard about so often. Thanks for sharing.
Blessings,
Donna

Deb said...

I love the moss...this is a beautiful place...I bet it will be even more beautiful in the spring and summer....love your photos...you have a good eye...

Tonja said...

OOH! I would like to be right in the middle of these pictures! Those rocks are amazing! And, how that one is balanced right up on top! Amazing! And, the moss. One of my favorite things to see in the woods is the beautiful green moss, as it creeps over the ground, rocks, trees, whatever is in its way! Thanks for sharing these!

Cottage Rose said...

What a Beautiful place.. your photos are so amazing... God sure knows how to decorate.... I would love to stop by there and just sit...

Hugs;
Alaura

Unknown said...

Glenrock Branch is my favorite picnic area along the entire length of the Natchez Trace Parkway. In the summertime the temperature is 10-12 degrees cooler down in the valley next to the stream and under the shade. I have some great pictures taken in the fall. To see these pictures and a map, see: Glenrock Branch

Merisi said...

Gorgeous serenity,
thank you for taking us there!
I am looking forward to see it during springtime.

Scrolling through your pictures at the bottom of the page is pure joy, thank you! :-)