Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Rusty Things

My passion for photography has literally opened up a new world for me. I love rambling with my camera, preferably off the beaten path, and taking pictures of simple everyday things that catch my eye ... from wildflowers, to old dilapidated barns and houses, to cows or goats grazing in a field, or hummingbirds at my feeder.

I see beauty in things that I didn't even notice before ... like rusty old plows, long abandoned and covered with weeds on the side of a road, or old barns with their rusty tin roofs adding a blaze of color to a pasture.

Some people may look at these things and just see "junk," but I think they have a unique beauty, and I can't help but wonder about the stories behind them.

While organizing some of my photos recently, I discovered that I have quite a few pictures of "rusty things," some old and some new, and I want to share them today. Can you see the beauty in them, or do they just look like "junk" to you?



As a postscript, I would like to share the following comment from my sweet blogging friend, Rachel of Lawn Tea. Rachel is blessed with a God-given way of putting words together that never ceases to amaze, awe, inspire, and delight me. I hope you will visit Rachel and see for yourself why I love her writing. I'm sure "Lawn Tea" will become one of your favorite places, too.

Here are Rachel's thoughts about "rusty things."

"Just beautiful, Janie, and a fount of memories. All the colors of Time and its toll, on machinery and decoration and a steeple that's like an ornate dark wedding cake, as well as the foundations of farming.

You've captured all the standards of our country: Home and family and religion and patriotism and good hard work. My favorite, I think, is the reaper/flag/swingset, with its message all in one frame.

Rust is one of the most beautiful stages in life---labor done, with only a languishing beauty left, and that's enough."

9 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Like beautiful pieces of art. I love these relics! Wonderful shots, Janie.

Tonja said...

Oh, my friend, how I love the rusty things in life! Rusty people included!

When I see things with a layer or two of rust clinging to them...it reminds me of permanence. Objects retain their shape and even their usefullness while wearing this cloak of orange, red and brown...and sometimes a little yellow! And, mostly, they just keep on working at whatever they happen to do, until the rust takes over and forces it to spend the rest of its years just being beautiful!

I think the natural progression of the rusting process is so interesting. Just the beauty of nature really.

Love the pictures!

Linda @ A La Carte said...

Love the photos and how you now see things differently. I have always seen things and thought that is a photo but until recently haven't taken a camera and tried. I am now hooked on my photography as well. It makes me happy! Your photos are a great expression of fine old rusty things...more beautiful now then before.

RachelD said...

Just beautiful, Janie, and a fount of memories. All the colors of Time and its toll, on machinery and decoration and a steeple that's like an ornate dark wedding cake, as well as the foundations of farming.

You've captured all the standards of our country: Home and family and religion and patriotism and good hard work. My favorite, I think, is the reaper/flag/swingset, with its message all in one frame.

Rust is one of the most beautiful stages in life---labor done, with only a languishing beauty left, and that's enough.

Donna said...

I love rusty old things as well. We have several old plows that were in my family and wagon wheels in my back yard. Love them! Old barns are just beautiful to me. My husband and I love to ride through the countryside and see all the old buildings.
Love your pics.

Deb said...

oh I see the beauty...I love the old rusty things...I guess we will all be old and rusty some day...

Loui♥ said...

Janie..
love your photography..
whether the subject be some rusty old thing or relic..
or a tender new blossom,,
your style, composition and use of color draws the viewer into the photograph..
to ponder the deeper meaning of what caught your eye/fancy at that particular moment in time..
thanks ever for sharing these evocative images..
warm hugs, laughing smiles..
Loui♥

Unknown said...

I think if I were to pass these things, I might just think "junk". But when I see your photographs, they are obviously beauty.

Dixie said...

We actually have quite a few of those old rusty things around our farmhouse... and yes, I love them.

After reading Rachel's comments, I realize... I'm a little rusty myself... ;)

there is beauty everywhere... all one has to do is look... thanks for your beautiful photos today.

blessings. Dixie