Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Flight of the Bumblebees

Have you noticed that bumblebees (along with wasps) are one of the first insects to make an appearance in the Spring?

They seem to like our Carolina Jasmine plant which is in full bloom, and I captured these pictures a couple of days ago (you can click on the pictures to enlarge them, if you'd like).

I never realized how fuzzy they are until I saw these closeups. They look so soft.

I captured the following two pictures last summer. They seemed to like the blossoms of our Chaste Plant, too. Aren't they pretty! Their delicate wings make me think of the expression "on gossamer wings."

Bumblebees play a very important role in our ecology, and I'm so glad they are enjoying our Spring blossoms.

6 comments:

RachelD said...

Takes me back to all the warm morning buzzzzzz outside my windows when we lived there.

And the idea of a "chaste plant" is charming---I just love all the old names, like Heartsease and Meadowsweet.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

These are so good, my it looks like they set and posed for you. I am planting 5 new Confederate Jasmine can't wait till they start blooming and growing.
Molly

Lisa said...

I'm so envious of your jasmine! Mine is not blooming yet...could have something to do with the 8 inches of snow we had Sunday. LOL! But warmer days are ahead. Thanks for reminding me of all I have to look forward to.:)

Tonja said...

One of the things I learned long ago was this...We see God in the big and grandiose things he created. It's easy to feel him in the waterfalls, and the mountains, in the rainbow, the elephant, the zebra. And, he has wonderfully created those things. But, he is just as awesome in the tiny things he made...the bunblebee, the cells in our bodies, the earthworm, the ant...He has just as wonderfully created those things, too! Thanks for reminding me of this today. I think bumblebees are amazing!
You know? I just remembered something else...and I think I'll go and write a post on it! Thanks again!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I would like for you to sharing in a Blog Bunny Hop to benefit the Children's Miracle Network. Hershey's will donate another $10 to CMN for each blog post -- and they'll keep on donating as long as the blog-hopping continues, up to $5,000 to benefit kids. Please stop by my blog and check it out.
Molly

Deb said...

wow it is unbelievable the detail....you did good....