Tuesday, March 2, 2010

The "Less is More " School of Decorating

I am a student of the "Less is More School of Decorating," and prefer classic accessories that complement any style decor. Through the years, my taste has changed, but I still have a few accessories that I love just as much now as I did when I acquired them.

Today, I'd like to share a vignette which features two of my favorites -- a pair of statues of a boy and girl holding baskets of fruits and vegetables. I have them displayed on the sideboard in our dining room and love the "neutral" look which doesn't clash with everything else in the room.

I also love using orchids as centerpieces in vignettes like this one. To me, nothing is more elegant and classic than an orchid, and I have several faux orchids that are so realistic-looking that you have to pinch them to see if they are real.

Here are close up shots of the statues. The girl statue is my favorite ...

This photo shows the entire dining room, including an arrangement of spring silk flowers on the table. The flowers are colorful enough, by themselves, and I like the way the sideboard accessories don't compete with the bold colors of the floral arrangement.

I always try to approach a decorating project with the "less is more" rule in mind, and most of the time it works for me.

7 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

I love the look of your Dining room and the sideboard looks very classy and elegant. I really like the neutral look of the vignette.
Molly

RachelD said...

Molly took the words right out of my fingers---Classy and Elegant, exactly how I picture you, with every post, every picture, every word.

Anonymous said...

Well Janie I've told you before your style is simple elegance! This proves it once again! I WISH WISH I COULD GET THIS STYLE PHILOSOPHY TO STICK HERE!LOL I love how your beautiful arrangement draws the eye and everything is quietly there! I won't give up trying but I think I might be going to my grave chanting "less is more"! This looks like the cover of "Southern Living" or "Southern Accents" mags.
Have a beautiful week - Sincerely, Jeannette

Deb said...

it does work...very elegant...

southerninspiration said...

Looks fantastic!!!

Suzanne

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gorgeous! :-)

Barbara said...

I agree with your thoughts and I try hard to remember this rule when decorating something and then all kinds of stuff find their way to my decorating scheme. Quess I am just destined to have suff
everywhere. I love you dining room and it definetely is elegant.

Barbara