Tuesday, March 9, 2010

New Life

At first glance, you would think it's still winter time here in Vicksburg. Winter's toll is evident everywhere you look ... in the drabness of faded brown grass, mostly leafless trees, and skies that are more often cloudy than clear.

But if you take the time to look closer, you will see Spring making its first appearance in the form of tiny new leaves on the trees, and green shoots of bulbs and flowers poking through the leaves.

The early-Spring flowering trees like Bradford Pears and Redbuds are budding out, and the Japanese Magnolias (Tulip Trees) are in full bloom now. New life is everywhere ... you just have to look a little closer to see it.

Even though yesterday was one of those cloudy days we've been having, I decided to get out and capture with my camera some of the new life heralding Spring's arrival in Vicksburg.

This is a photo I took on February 16th, of a Japanese Magnolia Tree just beginning to put out new buds.

And this is the way it looked yesterday ...

These are Bradford Pear buds. Wouldn't some of those branches make a beautiful Spring arrangement!

These pretty little blue flowers were in a church yard and caught my eye as I passed by. The faded flower in the picture is a camellia blossom, and I love the way it and the new blue blooms tell the story of the passing of Winter and the approach of Spring.

I spotted this little Hyacinth next door to the church. I need to go back next week to get a shot of the pink one, too!

And here are some pictures I took of the new life I found in our yard. I love the way my Carolina Jasmine vine winds around itself. Soon it will be a profusion of delicate yellow blossoms.

Our Lorapetalum plants are covered with tiny buds, too.

With each passing day, Spring is literally "bustin' out all over," and I can't wait to try to capture some of its "How Great Thou Art" glory with my camera.

6 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Spring is on the way and I can't wait. Great pictures.
Are you going to the Natchez Pilgrimage this month?
Can't wait to take pictures of the old homes and gardens.
Molly

RachelD said...

I'm smiling, because of the Spring Glories down your way, and because you used the words I think every time I see all the Glory you've captured with your camera.

I love the Bradfords---my own experience with these is daily walks in Spring down to see if they've blossomed in the several-blocks-away neighbor's yard. They are truly a sight to see, and I've never yet had the nerve to walk right up onto her lawn and see one from such a close close-up on the buds.

And the pink magnolias---they were "TULIPS" to my Mammaw, so I have a moment to translate when I see them.

Thank you for the extra BRIGHT this sunny morning!!

Deb said...

I love your spring blooms....

Picket said...

Ohhhh so pretty!!!! I love seeing the Spring flowers when they first start peeping out..ohhh especially the tulip trees..there is one here in town in an older neighborhood that every year it is just a show stopper...so huge and just loaded with the dark purple flowers!! Ohhh To have something like that in my yard! lol lol Your pics are just glorious girl...loved this!!!! Take care and have a great week! ~Picket~

Unknown said...

Love your promise of spring photos. I can't remember a time when I was so ready for spring. We've had a cold winter here in the south!

Love the photos!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, these are just gorgeous pictures. Gorgeous. My favorite are the hyancinths... is that the blue flower you took several shots of? Love it! I can't wait to see the pink ones. I wish you were here to capture a little dew drop plant that's blooming next to our stairs in St. Augustine. It comes back every year and blooms for a week or so. And your camera could do it justice.


Thanks for the loveliness...

XO,

Sheila :-)