Friday, January 21, 2011

A Breath of Spring

This is the day the Lord has made. Let us rejoice and be glad in it.
                                                                                                  — Psalms 118:24




I know we should be thankful for each and every day, and find beauty in whatever weather the Lord sends our way ... but around this time of year, I always seem to find myself feeling restless and longing for warmer days and something GREEN outside the windows.



I call this restlessness "Spring Fever," and Mark Twain must have felt it, too, because he described exactly how I've been feeling for the past couple of weeks. Mr. Twain opined:

“It's spring fever when you don't quite know what it is you want,
but it just fairly makes your heart ache, you want it so!”

Is that not profound!

I feel fortunate to live in Mississippi, where our winter landscapes and roads aren't covered with snow and slushy, dirty ice for weeks at a time. I can imagine how depressing that might be after a while, so I'm pretty sure that I'm not the only one suffering from this thing we call spring fever.

Today, I'd like to send a little "breath of Spring" your way by sharing some of my pictures from last Spring. It seems like just a few weeks ago that I took these pictures ... so, hopefully, we won't have long to wait and pine before this Spring will be here.

Bradford Pear Tree

Bradford Pear Blossom

Japanese Tulip Tree

Nothing says "Spring" like Tulips ...

And Azaleas

And Dogwood ...

And here in Mississippi, when we see the Redbud Trees blooming, we know Spring has arrived ...

Most of these pictures were made last March, so we still have a few weeks to wait for its arrival here in Vicksburg. For those of you who have to wait a little longer, take heart and remember ...

No winter lasts forever; no spring skips its turn.
                                                        — Hal Borland

8 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Ahhh Spring, isn't it wonderful to have something so grand to look forward too. Without winter, we would not enjoy Spring nearly as much as we do.

Deb said...

you brightened my day...it's 22 here this morning....BBBBRRRR...

RachelD said...

YOU Bright me EVERY day!!! Especially with your comments on LT.

These are just the freshest breath of air we've had in weeks---the colors and the soft blossoms and those sunny vistas---just perfect.

We're 2 deezgreez right now, with a promised wind chill of -4 to -14. As in BELOW.

Think warm thoughts and waft them this way, and all of Y'all stay WARM, as well.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Gorgeous! Nothing prettier than spring in the Deep South. Just gorgeous, Janie.

I'm in Central Florida, and I checked the temps yesterday. I kept doubling checking because it said it ws 78 degrees. While up the coast, it was about ten degrees cooler. Still not sure re: the numbers, but I will go back and read again and see. LOL! It is raining today (which is needed) and supposed to be cooling off. But not freezing. We still have pansies growing in St. Augustine which makes me smile. We've had to cover them some, but they are pretty hardy.

XO,

Sheila :-)

PAINTORDIG.blogspot.com said...

I had never read that quote of Mark Twain's, but it perfectly describes how I have been feeling! I am so longing for spring- your photos give me hope that it will come again!

Jenni said...

Ahhh... Spring in the beautiful South... No place quite like it! We have the Bradford Pear, the Tulip Tree, and the Azalea in our yard, and I must agree that when they Bloom, it feels and looks like Spring has "Sprung"
I have always loved Dogwoods and Redbuds, too.

Thanks for the early Spring through your pics!

bj said...

It is hard for me to ache for spring out here in West Texas. Our springs are very dirty with lots of wind and blowing dust. Many days, I just shut the blinds and find things to do. My little mother used to just walk the floor during a sandstorm. Makes one very agitated, to say the least. We have some beautiful summers..falls
are so-so (we had one of the prettiest this last fall), but my favorite time of the year is winter. I love it...everything about it. We don't get a lot of snow here and most of the winter, we can still wear shorts at times.
Sooo. I have decided it is all in where you live as to which of the seasons you love.

I enjoyed your beautiful photos.:))

Tonja said...

My favs are the dogwoods and the tulips! I am ready for spring to come on...we've had enough of this cold, now!

Loved the Rodney series. Great job!