Monday, January 31, 2011

Who Plants a Seed

This is a follow up to a story I wrote last fall about a fascinating vine I discovered growing on a fence on a frontage road beside I-20, between Edwards and Vicksburg, Mississippi.

Upon researching the vine, I found that it is called Balloon Vine, because the fruit resembles little balloons. They remind me of little Chinese lanterns ...

If you would like to read the posts from last fall before you read this last chapter, you can click on the following links:

Balloon Vines
Heart Seeds

As I mentioned in the "Heart Seeds" post, the seeds of the balloon vines are black and have markings on them resembling white hearts.

I was delighted when I discovered the little seeds, and saved some to plant with our granddaughter Avery Grace.

I also kept an unusual seed from some Carolina Moonseed vines that I photographed last December.

This is the little "moonseed" I kept ...


If you'd like, you can read about them here: December Lagniappe: Vines and Berries.

This past Saturday, the weather was absolutely perfect here in Mississippi, and my husband and I took Avery out to our land so we could plant our seeds. We let her pick out the spot and she chose a place near our "fairy tree," which you can see in the background of the next picture (I can't wait to tell you about our plans for the fairy tree this Spring).

Here are some of the seeds we planted. The wind was blowing, and she had to put her gloves on so they wouldn't blow away while I took this picture.

We've planted Morning Glory seeds a couple of times, and Avery has learned to be gentle when planting seeds ...

She wanted to water them, but we told her God would water them for us (and sure enough, He sent us a nice gentle rain yesterday).

Next, we put some sticks around the seedbed so we would know where we planted them.

To every thing there is a season, including a time to plant. Granted, January is probably not the ideal time to plant seeds, but since we have been waiting since September, we took advantage of the pretty weather and went ahead and planted ours.

Who knows ... perhaps this Spring we will discover some little green leaves poking their way through the dirt. And in the meantime, we will watch and wait ... and Avery will learn a little lesson about "having faith."

10 comments:

Deb said...

what a sweet lesson for her....and what fun for you two as well...

Marlene said...

Your precious little Avery is a very lucky little girl.. It's a wonderful time to learn lots of lessons from her loving grandparents and I'll bet she will develop the same appreciation for lagniappe as you have. Just reading your blog has made me look at things differently. Thank you for another lovely post.

RachelD said...

What a wonderful Sunday Sermon!! And those lessons we're planting---every day---will take root in places and times we know not of.

I think Grandmas, of all people, raise children by a "seed and a prayer."

Fishtail Cottage said...

Hi there....i just found your blog & see you too love to garden! Would love for you to link up to Cottage Flora Thursday's (garden party)looking for others who enjoy cottage gardens! xoox
Hope to see you soon! xoox
~Tracie

Jenni said...

What apecial memories Avery Grace will always cherish of time spent with her grandparents!
And what a beautiful lesson y'all shared with her....
Have a wonderful week!
Jenni

nanny said...

So sweet...
So much fun...
I can't wait to see them grow.
I have faith that they will flourish because they were planted with such loving hands.

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Your little sweetie looks like she is really enjoying herself. Hope this Spring brings her rewards of little vines.

Carolyn said...

How precious is this time together. Looking forward to seeing her vines next spring.
Carolyn

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Now, that is adorable, Janie! Avery is just precious. Oh, this is a sweet, sweet post. Thanks for sharing...

XO,

Sheila :-)

Tonja said...

Nothing teaches like 'doing'.

How blessed Avery Grace is to have a grandmother who understands that! And, I love the verse on her picture at the start of the post.