Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Ramblin' Around Vicksburg

It has been raining and dreary in Vicksburg for the past couple of days, and that old song by the Mamas and Papas has been running through my head ...

All the leaves are brown,
And the skies are grey,
I've been on a walk,
On a winter's day.

No, I'm not dreamin' of California, but I am dreaming of warmer, sunnier days here in Mississippi. After staring out the windows at the gloominess yesterday, I decided to get out for a while and just "ride around Vicksburg to see what I could see." And, as usual, I found lots of pictures waiting to be captured.

I headed downtown first, and these brightly colored umbrellas in a store window got my attention, especially with the light misty rain falling ...

I love the sunflower ...

I thought the cupola on the old depot was interesting, almost silhouetted against the bleak January sky ...

I have always loved these old columns. The building is currently undergoing renovations, so, hopefully, they will soon be restored to their former glory ...

This inscription over the entrance to St. Paul Catholic Church of Vicksburg, did, indeed, "lift my heart."

Picket fences always catch my attention, and I love the tangled vines growing on this one ... pretty, even in winter.


The Presbyterian Church in the background was lovely lagniappe ...

As I left the downtown area, I headed for some of my favorite residential neighborhoods. They were quiet that rainy Tuesday, and even the neighborhood pets seemed to be moving in slow motion.

This little guy didn't even open his eyes when I stopped to take his picture from my car ...

The only things "brightening" the landscape were an occasional patch of Pansies and the bright reddish-orange berries of Holly trees and shrubs. This tree was spectacular ...

Down the street from the holly tree is this beautiful old home.

The house used to be almost completely screened from the street by vines and understory trees, and I was happy to see that the owners had decided to unveil their elegant old house. I especially love its "nine-over-two" windows.

This house caught my eye, too. Actually, it was the urns on the porch that got my attention. I think the ferns are pretty, even though the cold has turned them winter brown.

And speaking of urns, I love this one ...

There were a few houses decorated for Mardi Gras, but my favorite was this adorable little Mardi Gras Bear sitting on a porch, all decked out in her beads and mask ...

She looks like she's ready to, as they say in New Orleans, Laissez les bons temps rouler (Let the good times roll!).

I hope the good times are rolling in your part of the world, too ... whatever the weather may be.

I looked out a window when I got up this morning (at 4:30 a.m.), and was delighted to see STARS in the sky ... and Friday's forecast for Vicksburg is for "abundant sunshine and a high of 64 degrees!" Oh, be still my heart — I wish I could send some of it your way!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi Janie,
My weatherman (hubby) says it will be in the high fifties and will fair off today! Yea!!!

I love your pics...Vicksburg has some interesting things to photo!

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Vicksburg is such a wonderful place to find great pictures. I love to go down to the river and snap pictures of the wild life and boats that are found on the water.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed your ramble, Janie.

We still have snow on the ground. The umbrellas brightened my day.

Deb said...

nice trip around town...we might have 70 on Friday.....I'm definately excited...

Jenni said...

More Gems brought to us by the "Lagniappe Lens"! Absolutely gorgeous photos....

Thanks for sharing some of the "Soul of the South" with us today!

Jenni

Tonja said...

I want that sunflower umbrella! Too, too cute!!!

And, I like the words over the entrance to the church. Lift up your hearts! Wonderful words!

Loved all the pics!

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love the urns, too, and that door and the color of the house's exterior. And I love, love, love the umbrellas. My BFF would kill to have one of those. She's got quite a collection. Thanks for the ramble, Janie. I needed this.

XO,

Sheila :-)