Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Sound of Lagniappe

I recently discovered these berries tangled in some trees behind the factory outlet stores in Vicksburg.

They were so bright and beautiful in the January sun, and I knew I would be sorry if I didn't take the time to capture some pictures of them.

They looked like red necklaces strung amongst the branches ...

When I took these pictures, I thought the berries would be my lagniappe for the day. But I received even better lagniappe a few minutes later while I was taking some pictures downtown. But this time, the lagniappe wasn't anything I could take pictures of — it was the sound of church bells at Crawford Street Methodist Church tolling the hour and playing hymns.

It truly gave me chill bumps and turned my photo shoot into one of those "How Great Thou Art" moments, as I took my pictures with the sound of I Love to Tell the Story, playing in the background.

I've never thought about lagniappe being in the form of sounds, but I learned a lesson yesterday. Lagniappe is all around us, each and every day ... it could be the laughter of children at play ... or the sound of birds singing ... or even the lowing of cows in a pasture. No matter what form it comes to us in, all we have to do is embrace it and enjoy the moment.

9 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I love both subjects, Janie, and I've had that same lagniappe when I've heard the carrillons play in St. Augustine. One day, years ago, I came home from a trip, stepped out of my car at noon, and heard "O Come All Ye Faithful" playing under a perfectly blue "Chamber of Commerce" sky. What a welcome! That's my favorite Christmas carol. Hearing hymns played out of doors does just stop you in your tracks. Thanks for doing that here. Your photographs are always lagniappes to me. I often think of what it was like when the shepherds heard the angels singing and praising God on the birth of Jesus and wonder what the day will be like when the archangel steps out on the Heavens and blows the shofar, signaling the Lord's return. Chillbumps for sure.

XO,

Sheila :-)

RachelD said...

I so love your wanderings, and I can just HEAR I Love to Tell the Story---I'm singing it right now, for I must climb out of this low place I've been delving into with all these gravestones,

Your bright berries and the tune I'll carry today have cheered me no end, and I thank you, as always.

rachel

Stacey said...

Beautiful! You were drawn to those berries for the same reason I'm always drawn to the nandina berries. They stand out in the dead of winter. :) We have a church in town that rings the bells all day long. Just love to hear them.

Jenni said...

What lovely berries! And you are right about Sound. It is a very powerful thing! Thank the Lord for all five senses.... they enrich our lives constantly.... from the sound of a mockingbird trilling away in an nearby tree... (I am listening to a happy one right this moment) to the feel of sunlight warming your skin on a Spring afternoon....each sense adds the beautiful embroidery on the fabric of our lives....

Karen said...

Absolutely beautiful; I commented to my husband today about how blue the sky was. I have enjoyed stopping by & visiting.

Unknown said...

Beautiful Janie....I'm going to make sure I slow down some to see all the beauty around me!

You did a great job of describing this moment! I can actually 'hear' those bells!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful photos as always and I loved the story of the chimes. Wonderful!

Carolyn said...

Lovely red berries, they do look like a necklace. Glad you got to hear the ringing of "those golden bells".
Carolyn

Deb said...

you are so right.....sounds can be lagniappe also...smells too...an apple pie baking...a baby fresh out of the tub....