Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Hidden Jewels

I spent a pleasant half hour or so in my yard yesterday afternoon enjoying a gentle breeze and admiring my flowers.

I think our patio and courtyard is prettier this year than ever before, and I decided to capture the flowers at their peak before the long, hot summer takes its toll on them.

Our Lilac Chaste Tree is one of my favorite plants in the courtyard, and this time of year it is at its most glorious ...

The hummingbirds, bumblebees, and butterflies love it, too.

I am so glad I tried the new Sunpatiens (a new variety of Impatiens that tolerate sun). I wasn't sure they would do well in the courtyard, but they are thriving ...

And the Snapdragons are flourishing ...

I went back outside just before sunset and took this picture of the waterfall when the lights came on (you can click on all these pictures if you'd like to get a closer look).

And speaking of "closer looks" — I haven't used my macro lens in a while and thought I would practice a little and get a few close ups of the flowers in the process.

White Sunpatien bloom ...

I love the little heart-shaped center in this bud. Isn't it sweet!

I've never had much luck growing Petunias, and although the leaves on this one look rather anemic, it makes up for it with its blooms.

Have you ever looked at a Petunia up close?

Let's look a little closer ...

Look at the beautiful little "jewels" that were almost hidden deep in the center of the flower.

You just never know what "jewels" you might find if you take the time to get a closer look at your surroundings — not just in flowers and Nature, but in people, too.

5 comments:

Loui♥ said...

Janie..
What a delicious treat so early on this damp , dark overcast dreary day in Denver..
Your Patio is exquisite..
and the waterfall..!
I just love every flower filled nook and cranny..
so vibrant.. and peaceful!!
warmest hugs..
Loui♥

Deb said...

everything looks so pretty....what a nice place you have to relax and enjoy...

Richard Cottrell said...

Your garden is delightful. I think we have had a beautiful spring. Here in Missouri we have had some bad storms. I hope this passes through soon. Enjoy your garden and have a great summer. Richard at My Old Historic House

Jenni said...

What a beautiful courtyard. It makes me just want to sit a "Spell" with a glass of Iced tea and some good friends....

I love petunias but mine always get root rot and die.....

thanks for sharing!

Hugs,
Jenni

Karen said...

I've played catch-up on your posts today. :) I have thoroughly enjoyed each one - the beautiful pics of your yard, your parents garden and the great history lesson. This is my first time to hear of the sunpatiens. Love them - and they are really doing great in your yard.