Wednesday, October 10, 2012

A Last Goodbye

I looked out our kitchen windows early yesterday morning expecting to see an empty branch in the Bay Magnolia tree where our faithful little hummingbird usually sits.

I had mixed emotions, knowing I would miss the little fellow if he was gone, but it was 37 degrees outside, and I hoped he had begun his long journey south for the winter.

But he was there ... huddled on his little branch ... his feathers all fluffed up to keep him warm.

I stood and watched him for a few minutes, and even talked to him, telling him I was glad to see him, but it was time for him to go.

He sat there for a long time, perched on his branch near the feeder, as if he came to say 'goodbye.'

I looked for him all during the day, but never saw him again.

I wish him Godspeed on his journey south, and hope he will find his way back to us next summer. I'll be waiting and watching for him ...

5 comments:

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Janie, that is so sweet. I was thinking, maybe he knows something we don't. Maybe he knows that you will sell your house and be out before he returns. Either way, he obviously loves his home there and came to say, "Thank you for taking such good care of me, and I wish you well."

It's chilly here, too. I woke up shivring, while yesterday I had the AC cranked up. And it's misty and foggy and looks like England instead of Florida. Sun, come back!

XO,

Sheila

Stacey said...

I have conversations with the birds and the bugs. :) It is a change of season now, isn't it?

Dorothy said...

Cute little Hummer! Actually, he's a she;-) Have you had lots of hummers this year? We have had lots more than usual. As of yesterday, we still had two of them hanging around. Good picture!!

Marti said...

Love your story. We are all on lifes journey, and like your little bird, we must move on. Hoping your paths cross again.

RachelD said...

Oh. My Dear!

I awoke one morning this week, with the thought of "How will Janie get all the hummers to her NEW house when she moves?"

Then I though perhaps they were such a charming note in your garden, the people viewing your house would consider them a great asset to the amenities.

But I know you'll see him again.

rachel