Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Fallen Leaves

The falling leaves drift by the window,
The autumn leaves of red and gold ...

October's arrival in Vicksburg brought a few rain showers and some very welcome cooler temperatures. It was as if the leaves were just hanging by a thread, waiting for Mother Nature to tell them, "Okay, it's time. You can let go now."

Late yesterday afternoon, I grabbed my camera and captured a few of the fallen leaves in our yard, whose final resting places caught my attention.

I love the contrast of colors between the verdigris sundial and the coppery red Asiatic Jasmine leaves. Benjamin Moore can't hold a candle to God's palette of Fall colors!

These leaves wedged between the rocks of our waterfall will probably be there until Spring, when I get them out (or, hopefully, the new owner of our house gets them out).

Crape Myrtle leaves decorate the stone path connecting our courtyard to the back yard, and remind me of faded rose petals tossed from a flower girl's basket at a wedding long ago.

And speaking of rose petals, these petals are all that remain from what was probably the last rose of summer on the vine growing on my arbor ...

I found this little Mexican Petunia lodged amongst the Lady Banks Rose branches, seemingly reluctant to let go.

Here are some leaves I captured last Fall, which I'm still enjoying, thanks to my pictures.

If you have a lot of trees in your yard, you probably don't look forward to their leaves falling. But, before you start raking, I hope I have inspired you to take a closer look at the leaves and where they fall. Each and every one is different, like snowflakes ... except they don't melt when they hit the ground.

2 comments:

Pat said...

Janie,

Your photos are so beautiful and such an inspiration.

Yes, the Lord has provided so much beauty around us, even in the falling leaves. We live in paradise! And, you help to make us more aware of that.

Thank you,
Pat in Tallahassee

The Quintessential Magpie said...

Everything you do is an inspiration, Janie! These are just lovely!

XO,

Sheila