Monday, April 15, 2013

Mynelle Gardens, Revisited / Part 2

This is the second in a series of posts featuring a photo tour of Mynelle Gardens in Jackson, Mississippi.  If you missed the first part, you can click on the link if you would like to read it before you read Part 2.


You may also want to read about my first visit to the Gardens which was on April 18, 2011.  It goes into more detail and includes additional pictures not featured in this tour of my most recent visit.

Mynelle Gardens, Jackson, Mississippi

Now, back to our tour.  Although each and every path in the gardens is unique and beautiful in its own way, the focal point of the gardens is a large pond with a bridge that looks as if it belongs in a Monet painting.


The pond is surrounded by tall yellow Louisiana Irises, whose reflections fascinated and captivated me.  I loved photographing the reflections of the flowers and their foliage in the water's edge. 


I like the way the trees are reflected in the picture below ...



So beautiful!


Another landmark in the gardens, and probably one of the most photographed, is this incredibly lifelike bronze statue called On a Wing and a Prayer,  which was created by Cynthia Sparrenberger of Sedalia, Colorado.


 

The following pictures feature some of the other magnificent works of art found in the Gardens.


I just happened to catch a Thrush (?) resting on this oriental statue.


This colorful Japanese Maple tree stands near the statue ...


In the heart of the Gardens, you will find this amazing bronze work of art, Circle of Peace, which depicts children from all walks of life playing together.   The lifelike figures were created by artist Gary Price.


  

The Butterfly Garden features this life-size sculpture, Butterfly Cowboy, by Dan Hill.


This pair of herons found a nice quiet spot to spend their days beside the pond.


  And this lovely lady seemed perfectly happy nestled amongst the azaleas ...


I am a tree lover, and the Gardens are home to dozens of varieties of trees, including towering old oaks, Crape Myrtles, Magnolias, Sycamores, and this magnificent Dawn Redwood tree.


Once it was only a well known and widespread fossil, until specimens were found in 1941 in China.  It is planted chiefly for its exceedingly rapid growth and interesting history since it has been growing and reproducing itself for at least 50 million years!


Its branches and leaves form a delicate canopy overhead ...



In sharp contrast to its rough bark ...



This old magnolia caught my eye, as well ...


I think the trunks of Crape Myrtles are especially beautiful,
and I love this one perched at water's edge ...



The oaks were truly majestic, standing tall above the Gardens.  Their widespread canopies will be a blessing during our soon-to-be hot and humid Mississippi summer ... 


I believe the "tree" in the picture below is a Snowball Tree.  It reminded me of a giant hydrangea plant, and I'd love to go back and capture its blooms when they turn white, which should be in a week or so, from what I've read.


I loved every minute of the time I spent in Mynelle Gardens, and commend the lifelong dedication of its founder and creator, Mynelle Westbrook Hayward.  Through her forethought, perseverance, and hard work,  she brought to life her visions of a beautiful garden, where the settings change with the season, even with the time of day ... but are always tranquil and inviting.  My thanks to her family for sharing her legacy with the communities of Jackson and the surrounding area.

If you are ever near Jackson, I hope you will take the time to visit Mynelle's beautiful Gardens, where serendipity and lagniappe await you at the end of every path, across every bridge, and around every bend.

5 comments:

Stacey said...

Truly, it just doesn't get any prettier than that. What a beautiful place. Sometimes I don't love sculptures in the garden but those are wonderful.

Richard Cottrell said...

I'm in a little Southern heaven. Thanks again. Richard from My Old Historic House.

Marlene said...

Another lovely day in the gardens. I love the bronze statue On a Wing and a Prayer...looks suspiciously like your beautiful little granddaughter to me! LOL.

The Quintessential Magpie said...

This is all so beautiful, Janie, but the real show stopper is that bridge with those Louisiana Irises. GORGEOUS. It reminds me of Monet and his French garden.

Love this!

XO,

Sheila

C M Designs said...

Thank you for taking us along on your tour of the lovely gardens. They seem to be done in such a relaxing manner and are simply gorgeous.
The gardens look like a little bit of Heaven. Everything is beautiful.
I always enjoying seeing what you've done in your courtyard too.
Have a beautiful day, Janie.
Charlotte in Va.