Thursday, April 18, 2013

Wisteria Along The Natchez Trace

The Natchez Trace Parkway begins at Natchez, Mississippi, and runs 444 miles northward to where it ends about 15 miles southwest of downtown Nashville, Tennessee.  


I drive the Trace often, from Clinton, Mississippi to Ridgeland, to avoid the stressful hustle and bustle of the interstates surrounding Jackson, and I love its peaceful "off the beaten path" tranquility.

Not only is the Trace peaceful, but it is also beautiful any time of the year ... and it is especially lovely in the Spring.


  A few days ago, I enjoyed capturing a little of that loveliness with my camera.   


The line from the song, "The Sound of Music," about the "hills being alive with the sound of music," came to mind ... except in this case, "The woods were alive with the color of wildflowers."


These gorgeous yellow flowers were scattered up and down the roadside and, in places, wound their way through the woods as far as the eye could see ...


I was also delighted to see that the wisteria was at its peak that day, and I couldn't resist stopping to capture it in all its glory.


Wisteria knows no bounds, and several of the trees were covered with a profusion of lavender and purple blossoms ... 


The cascading flowers reminded me of Japanese lanterns hanging from the tree branches ... 


I love the way the vines trailed gracefully along the tree line ... and the vine in the next two pictures made me think of a clothesline, with blossoms hanging from it instead of clothes. 


I was wading (carefully) through some tall grass while taking these pictures and, as I got closer to the tree line, it didn't take me long to realize that if I was going to get any closeup shots, I would need my zoom lens.  Here is what discouraged me from getting any closer ...

             

The flowers were literally covered with bumblebees, and they were buzzing all around me, just a little too close for comfort!

    
Thank goodness for zoom lenses -- they do come in handy sometimes!


Admiring the beauty of the wisteria vines from inside my car was nice .. but seeing God's glory in the individual petals of the blossoms and their newly sprouted tender green leaves ... up close through the lens of my camera ... was truly awesome.  I'm so glad I was able to capture them at their peak before they faded.  [If you would like to get a closer look, you can click on the pictures to enlarge them.]



It won't be long before those beautiful blossoms will fade, their delicate lavender petals falling like confetti in the wind, their vines disappearing amongst the foliage of the trees which they entwine ... bidding farewell to April, and heralding the arrival of May and its wild roses ...


Honeysuckle ...



Queen Anne's Lace, and Red Clover ...


To every thing there is a season ...
and I love them all.


7 comments:

Dorothy said...

And I love them all, too! You captured some outstanding beauty!!! It's hard to pick a favorite, but that last one of red and white is gorgeous! Of course, the Wisteria is spectacular!

Beth said...

The Trace has to be the most beautiful place on God's earth! The wisteria is beautiful! I love the one that looks like a clothesline!

Pat said...

Janie.

I think you have outdone yourself with these gorgeous photos. What a treat it is to see all of this beauty ... All of the photos are so beautiful, but the Wisteria in particular are stunning.

Thank you for the beautiful drive down the Trace ... What a treat!

Pat in Tallahassee

20 North Ora said...

What beautiful photos. The flowers are just gorgeous. That looks like a beautiful drive - will have to try that some day. Thanks for sharing your drive with us.

Judy

RachelD said...

Oh, Janie, how you DO evoke sweet memories---those hotter-than-could days beneath the wide, heavy-hanging umbrella-plants, with those great sweet clumps of blossoms hanging over you, and a book to get lost in.

And I DO have a soft spot for those big ole Bubba Bumblebees; they've just never felt like danger, only little buzzy balls of purpose, and no heed to me.

I started at the top of the list today, and between Beverly's George Beverly Shea and How Great Thou Art, and yours-saved-for-last---well I've been riding a surge of memory and joyous music and such glorious sights and colors that it's almost too much to hold.

You know it's always lovely to hear from you, dear friend. And you gift is magical.

rachel

The Quintessential Magpie said...

I always think of natural gardens as God's gardens. He must have had fun on the Trace with these as they are lovely. That last shot is breathtaking.

XO,

Sheila

Randy said...

You have a fantastic eye for beauty. :0)