Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Mama's Flowers

My post from yesterday featured some pictures I took over the weekend of my Daddy's vegetable garden. Today, I would like to share a few pictures I captured of my Mama's flowers.

Most of her flowers are hardy old-fashioned perennials that make an appearance in early spring and flourish during the hot summer months — like purple Verbena and colorful Lantana ...

And these happy little Hollyhocks, whose seeds were given to me several years ago by a sweet lady in Jefferson, Texas.

Mama collected some seeds for me yesterday and is keeping them for me so I can plant them on our land.

I can just picture them standing tall in front of a picket fence someday!

There were also colorful daylilies, whose names I do not know ...

These weren't quite open yet. I'd love to go back and capture them in full bloom.

My parents love working in their yard and garden and it shows. This is their patio area (the red umbrella was her Mother's Day present).

And the old swing in the background of this picture is a favorite resting place, especially on hot summer days ...

I love this old stepping stone which is in front of the swing. It reminds me of Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, and I wish I could find some more like it.

These pretty 4th of July Roses from Mama's yard brightened the table for our Memorial Day lunch ...

I look forward to Mama passing along some clippings and seeds from these beautiful old flowers for me to plant at our new house when we build it. Our building plans were put on hold for a while due to my husband's hip replacements, but, hopefully, now that he is well on his way to a complete recovery, we can move ahead with our plans.

Perhaps one day in the not-so-distant future I'll be able to share some pictures of my Hollyhocks in front of that picket fence!

6 comments:

Stacey said...

Oh, just gorgeous! I love all the old fashioned perennials. Trying to plant more of them in our yard too. The path leading to the swing looks so pretty. :)

RachelD said...

Such a trip to the land of memories!! Our southern gardens were not complete without verbena and day lilies and LANTANNERS, and those hollyhocks!!

Those are the faces of the wisest old ladies, looking kindly down on the little ones and telling them stories---they've looked long on life and found it mostly good.

The old fashioned flowers are the ones which call up the remembrances.

Carolyn said...

I love your Mama's garden. Old time, tried and true plants are my favorites here in the south.
Seeds and cuttings from family and friends are treasures.
Carolyn

Tonja said...

Oh, I am so happy that you can get back on track with your new place.

It's been hard for me to get to the computer to blog and read blogs I follow, so I don't know how long you have had that header up...but I love it! So simple, colorful, and summery!

I loved seeing all the different and so glad you will be able to have some at your new place. The last time my Mom came to my house, about 5 days before she died...she brought me some seeds to plant. I did plant them and none of them came up. That really made me sad.

Hope you have a good week and so glad Hubby is doing so well!

Jenni said...

So lovely! Thanks for sharing this special garden with us....

you are right! the tender love and care your parents have lavished on their yard and garden shows...

hugs,
Jenni

Deb said...

I see where you get your style....such pretty flowers...love the last photo..