Monday, October 10, 2011

Moments in Time

"Time never turns backwards
Its old charms to give.

In photographs only
Can yesterdays live."

—Edgar A. Guest

As a photographer, I can relate to the sentiments expressed by Mr. Guest in the above poem. Every time I take a picture, I am very much aware that I am capturing a moment in time, to forever be preserved in my picture. Whether it is a picture of our grandchildren ...

Or a picture of a butterfly ...

Or a picture of an historical Mississippi landmark that is slowly fading away ...

Windsor Ruins, Claiborne County, MS

Each of those pictures is frozen in time — just as it was at the moment I clicked the shutter button:    A granddaughter's first kiss for her baby brother when we brought him home from the hospital, on the 13th day of August 2011.  The glory of a Yellow Swallowtail Butterfly, as it stopped by our courtyard for a sip of nectar from our Lilac Chaste Tree, on August 12, 2010.   And the Windsor Ruins, as they were when my husband and I visited them on the 18th day of February 2008.

Our little Maddox is eight weeks old now ... the butterfly is long gone to wherever butterflies go ... and the centuries-old bricks of the Ruins are slowly, but surely, still crumbling away with the passage of time.

Yes, Time marches on, as they say ... but I am so grateful that at this stage of my life God led me to pursue an interest in photography, and gave me just enough talent to inspire and encourage me to go out and take pictures.

During the past six years, I've taken thousands of pictures, and I've also discovered that behind every picture, there is a story waiting to be told. I love telling those stories and capturing them forever in my pictures — for I have learned that there is a lot of truth to the last line of Mr. Guest's poem ...

"In photographs only can yesterdays live."

7 comments:

Churaipon Chintakanont Klaijumlang said...

"Yes, Time marches on, as they say ... but I am so grateful that at this stage of my life God led me to pursue an interest in photography, and gave me just enough talent to inspire and encourage me to go out and take pictures."

Thank you Janie for sharing the beautiful pictures and thoughts. May it inspire many others to come to such a sweet and precious moment that you are, being joyfully content!

I am thankful that God gave me a precious friend like you, to me and many more who are following you unique blog.

Thank you.

RachelD said...

A lovely treat this sunny Monday, of the falling leaves and the 56 degrees!

Your talent is amazing, and your diversity and variety of wonderful pictures---a treasure for every one of us. Thank you from my heart, for every day.

rachel

Loui♥ said...

Janie..
my sentiments exactly..
I have always been the "keeper of the stories" in our family..I write, I photograph, and I share..
God has blessed me with this wonderful ability of preserving yesterday's treasured moments..
for our present and future generations..
love visiting my friend!! love the new header..
warmest hugs..
Loui♥

The Quintessential Magpie said...

And how thankful WE are that you picked up that camera and captured these things for us to share.

I particularly love the picture of Avery Grace and Maddox. How precious. So glad you were there to capture the sweetness.

Love to you and yours, Janie...


XO,

Sheila

Dorothy said...

I love being able to capture a moment in time and then go back and re-live it!!!
Your photos are always so beautiful!

Unknown said...

I love your photography Janie, all three of these are great, but the first one is my favorite! Priceless! :)

Deb said...

I agree totally....I love taking photos...and my blog has gave me a place to express myself...