Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Balancing Act

Happy First Day of Spring, Y'all!

Not only is it the first day of Spring, but it's also the vernal equinox, one of two times a year (the other equinox occurs in the Fall) when the length of day and the length of night are just about equal.

As folklore has it, the position of the sun and other planets on the equinoxes means that miraculous feats of balance can occur. True? Astronomers say No, but twice a year many people go around trying to balance raw eggs on end and trying to get brooms to stand alone, and no telling what else.

I have to confess that I was intrigued by the idea, and tried my hand at balancing an egg.

As you can see, it worked! But if the truth be known, it probably would have worked last week, or next week, or every day for the rest of the year according to astronomers who attest that equinoxes and planetary alignments have no "physical effect on earthly objects." Be that as it may, I had fun balancing my egg and it was kind of eerie to see it standing alone like that.

Hmmmm ... I wonder if I can get my broom to stand up, too!

2 comments:

RachelD said...

Someone whose magical fingers and eye can capture the wing-flap of a hummingbird---who could doubt?

Happy Spring!!

rachel

LindaG said...

Well, I expect another picture tomorrow where you show us if the balancing act is true or not. ;-)

Thank you! :o)