Thursday, August 5, 2010

Keeping Cool

I haven't been out taking many pictures lately because of the unusually high temperatures we've been having here in Vicksburg. The heat and humidity literally take your breath away, and there's a stifling haze hanging in the air.

These last sultry days of summer are often called the "Dog Days of Summer," which originates from the ancient belief that Sirius (the brightest star in the heavens besides the sun), also called the Dog Star, was somehow responsible for the hot weather.

I just want to hibernate inside, and I find myself already looking forward to Fall (I know ... we still have lots of summer left, but it doesn't hurt anything to wish, does it!).

In hopes of helping to stay cool, I'd like to share some of my "cool" pictures today.

Like this shady mountain path ...

And these two chairs just beckoning someone
to come sit in the shade of that old oak tree.

I can remember the cool, overcast spring
day when I captured this dogwood tree.

This tiger at the Jackson Zoo was
staying cool, happily soaking in his pool.

Avery was cool in her pool, too!

My little girl statue, dipping her toes in the cool water of our pond.

Pansies in our February "snow."

I love blue flowers in the summertime, because no
matter how hot it is, they manage to "keep their cool."

I hope you can "keep your cool" today, too!


5 comments:

Carolyn said...

Thanks for all the "cool" pictures. Predicted to be over 100 again today!
Carolyn

RachelD said...

Janie,

I always love your COOL attitude!!

D.B. said...

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH! Merci Beau Coup! Today was unbelievable with the heat/humidity combination. Thanks for the respite!

Robert Walker said...

I love the contrast of the chairs against the background! Like you said they are beckoning to he sat it. Great shot

Southern Blooms said...

Hello, somehow I stumbled upon your blog. I love all of your beautiful and stunning pictures.
I am the same way about paper towels lol. I am a paper towel abuser. I use the same the huge pack of bounty and the charmin, and lysol, etc. I was going to do a post on some of my favorite things as well.
Stay cool, it's a hot one here too.