Tuesday, August 31, 2010

More Hummingbird Antics

This is a follow-up to yesterday's post, Hummingbird Battles, which featured the hungry and aggressive hummingbirds that are swarming our feeders trying to store up enough food for their long migratory journey South next month. We have enjoyed watching their antics as they swoop and whiz and chatter and zoom over our heads, protecting and defending their "territory" from other hummers.

In my previous post, I lamented the fact that I haven't been able to get many good pictures of them, because they're too busy doing battle with each other, or dodging me and my camera.

I tried again late yesterday afternoon and was able to capture a few more (still not great, but a little better).

This one is looking at me rather exasperatedly, like he's thinking, "Do you mind? I'm trying to eat!"

A wasp stopped by for a drink, too, and the little hummer in the background was trying his best to scare him away. I think the wasp won that battle, though.

I was so proud of these two little guys -- they finally decided to be sweet and share.

You're probably tired of hearing about our hummingbirds, but I love to watch them this time of year. They're truly amazing little creatures, and I'll probably have more pictures to share in a few weeks, before they leave on their journey South.

Lagniappe

While photographing the hummers, I noticed this colorful dragonfly resting on the back of an iron bench in our yard. He was a lot more cooperative than the elusive hummers, and seemed to enjoy having his picture taken.

5 comments:

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

More great shots, I like the shot with the wasp. and the dragon fly is just beautiful. The only ones I've seen this year are just plain black ones, no pretty colors.
Molly

Tonja said...

I have a feeder and have just not gotten around to putting it up this year. That will be a 'must do' next year!

I have seen so many dragonflies this year though. They have been everywhere out around the pool. So beautiful!

Sue said...

Thanks for sharing photos of two of my favorite creatures Janie. I have enjoyed feeding my hummingbirds this summer, and my dh reminded me today that they would be leaving toward the end of September. I will miss them, but will happily look for their return when spring comes again. thanks again for sharing.Your photography is always so beautiful.
Sue

Jenni said...

Great pics. I LOVE the one where he's looking at you. He does look exasperated, though. *Smile*

As though he saying "Ok,when the papparazzi gets through, I can finish my meal!"

I do love Hummingbirds, they are such darlings...

Merisi said...

Gorgeous images!

I admire your skills and steady hand in capturing creatures.