Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Yesterday's Lagniappe

After spending most of the day in Jackson, Mississippi, yesterday, I was looking forward to getting home and relaxing. As I was preparing to turn into our driveway, you can imagine my surprise when I discovered we had a visitor in our front yard.

I just happened to have my camera in the car with me, and I quickly grabbed it and started shooting through the open window (with the camera, not a gun) ...

Yes, that's a turkey! We've seen her several times around the entrance to our street, but have never seen her in our yard.

Awww, Tilly (I like to name things, and she just looked like a Tilly to me) ... Don't get your feathers ruffled! I'm not going to hurt you.

But she was camera-shy, and wouldn't stay for a photo shoot.

I wish Tilly had stayed a little longer. I could have fixed her a snack, and she could have taken a dip in our little pond.

Oh, well ... what can I say? Lagniappe comes in all kinds of forms, and my lagniappe yesterday was in the not-so-elegant form of Tilly the Turkey.

I hope your first day of September is filled with happy lagniappe.

4 comments:

RachelD said...

You DO lead a most interesting life.

And even a wandering turkey knows that she'll find welcome at your house.

Happy Lagniappe to you too!!

MeenyMoe said...

Wild Turkeys are so much fun! On my drive in to work in the fall, a whole flock of them hover around a certain area I pass. Although my view of them is always brief, I always get a chuckle when I pass them! And, by the way, Tilly is the perfect name for that turkey!

-Karen

midnight macaroons said...

Wow, I can't believe you had a turkey in your front yard. Now that's what I call organic (wink). That sounds like a good name for a Thanksgiving book, "The adventures of Tilly the Turkey."

Merisi said...

That is a good looking lady, I hope she encounters only kind people like you, shooting after her with a camera!