Thursday, September 30, 2010

Come Sit a Spell

One of my favorite expressions is, "Come sit a spell." It reminds me of quiet moments shared with family or friends when you sit and visit, or just spend some quality time together.

It also brings to mind images of cozy places that beckon you to "come sit a spell." It could be a couple of lawn chairs under a tree, like the ones in the above picture, or perhaps a porch swing ...

There are also kitchens that make you want to linger for a while, like this one:

And speaking of lingering ... who wouldn't love to sit a spell on this elegant window seat, especially with a view like that outside ...

Here are a few more pictures I borrowed from the Internet that say, "Come on in and sit a spell."

This is a picture of a room I cut out of a magazine probably 20 years ago and saved in my "decorating ideas" notebook. It has a "come-sit-a-spell" look to it to me, and I still love it as much now as I did 20 years ago.

This sunroom is one of my favorites, too:

Wouldn't you love to have your morning coffee in this beautiful room! Nothing makes a room look cozier and more welcoming to me than bookshelves that actually hold books.

I love this little corner — even though it's elegant, it still beckons you to come sit and read for a while.

Outdoor spaces can also beckon you to sit a spell, like this beautiful bench and peaceful path:

And these rocking chairs overlooking a beautiful Spring garden:

I would love to "sit a spell" in one of these Adirondack chairs and admire that glorious Fall foliage, but I doubt I would be able to sit still very long without trying to capture some of that awesome view with my camera.

The same is true of this breathtaking beach scene ...

All of those places are gorgeous in their own way, but you don't have to have a beautifully decorated room, or garden, or tropical beach to enjoy the magic of "sitting a spell" with someone you love. You can sit at your kitchen table with your children when they come home from school, and share a snack with them. Ask them about their day, or share something about your day with them. Meet your husband at the door when he gets home from work, and "sit a spell" with him and relax before dinner.

A "spell" doesn't have to be long — just long enough to let them know you're glad they're home.

4 comments:

RachelD said...

Janie,

This is one of those "sermons in a teacup" which I enjoy so much.

The scenes are lovely and inviting (the rockers on the verandah for me!) and I'd just sit a spell in every one---especially those involving books.

Thank you, again, for all your lovely touches and inspirations.

rachel

Jenni said...

Oh my! I could sit for quite a while in any of those inviting, beckoning spots!

Thanks for a this relaxing, lovely,

and thoughtful post...

Anonymous said...

Janie, visiting your blog -- and soaking in its beauty and inspiration -- is almost like "sitting a spell" with a friend. :)

In this electronic age, I think it's especially important for us to 'unplug' and 'sit a spell' with those we love.

Thanks for this...
Leslie

Deb said...

oh my gosh I could sit a spell at all the places..you did good..